SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the 47 yo fuel tank has rusted out for our Columbia 34mkII. are there any replacement tanks available? is there a reliable way of repairing this one? the tank is located under the starboard settee and although the top profile is a rectangle, the height is tapered like a wedge to fit the hull. the general dimensions are 24" fore to aft, 34-1/2" from port to starboard. not counting the 4 top mounted fittings the height is tapered from 12" on the port side to 9" (at 23-1/4" to strbd) , and 3-3/4" (at the strbd end) it may be possible to go an inch or two taller if needed. although I have appreciated having the 300 mile range that this 30 gallon tank has given me, I would consider a smaller alternative, ie a rectangular tank 24x24 and 10" tall would work for me as well. repairing this tank would be difficult as it is spot welded and soldered with an internal baffle. we are planning on heading south with her by November, so any links to a replacement are appreciated!

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I wouldn't consider repairing since it's already compromised. The effort would likely be best served to replace it. If you're able to get it out of the boat in one piece, you could try finding a fabricator who can look at the old one to make a new one to the same size/shape.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If you can geter out, you can get the replacement in. Find a decent shop to copy in aluminium .I fold around the baffle, weld in the ends install all the fittings and refit. Watch for moisture problems where it sits and under straps. Pretty standard stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts