SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a Columbia 45 Sloop and the previous owner dropped a brand new Perkins/Saber 92 engine onto the engine bed rails. It was never mechanically installed. In looking at the engine bed, it appears to be a fiberglass box structure on both sides with no access to the insides of them. When I look for bolt holes in the fiberglass that the previous engine used, I am surprised to find only a few small holes where the engine mounts would attach.

Could someone with a C45 advise on how the engines are bolted to the fiberglass bed rails? The bolt holes in the transmission mounts are quite large and the fiberglass bed rails are pretty thin and would not take large lag bolts like used in my earlier boats with wooden beams for an engine bed.

Any photos of existing installations would be appreciated.

Doug

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
the box structures may have cone with the new engine and may have wood on the inside to attach the mount with a lag bolt or you will need to hole saw a hole on the side of the box structure to allow you to access the inside for a nut and wrench on the bottom of a thru bolt. You could drill a small hole down into the structure and see if there is wood

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Alternately, if the bed came with the engine, those small holes could be blind nuts or tapped metal inserts. The engine beds on our boat are this way - thin fiberglass box structure with tapped metal inserts for mounts.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
I'm always pleased when I step aboard a boat and find an inverted SS U bracket covering the bed rails with the engine mounts threaded into it and it is through bolted to the bed rail. Sometimes folks will weld nuts for the engine mounts to the U bracket for a stronger threaded connection.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a Col 45 ( hull #16) and I'll see if I can photo the engine mounts for our Perkins 4236 when I check the oil and coolant next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts