SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone encountered this separation in the Columbia sailboats keel joint. Starts just forward of the most forward keel bolt. No water intrusion. Keel bolts torqued to 100 lbs last year.
Hood Water Wood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you sure 100lbs is the correct value? seems very low.

I don't have direct knowledge but those that I know that have retorque'd are usually up in the 200-25-lbs/ft range. From what I can see in the pic, that joint has been "patched" before. I would clean it all out ( remove the failed fairing to really have a look at what's going on there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the disturbing part. I had the hull glass blasted last year and discoveed a previous repair that wasn't too good a job. The separation was covered with a bit of fiberglass that could be ripped off by hand. I gouged it out and filled with thickened epoxy. Now after haul out i see this separation. What bothers me is there is a gap in the crack, why has it not closed up? Would this have happened when the weight was taken up by the sling when launching? Ive seen descriptions of this "smile" being repaired with flexible epoxy or 5200. There is no other separation along the lead portion of the keel. The joint between the aft fiberglass part of the keel and the forward lead section was done years ago and is holding up fine. Will check on torque again, 3/4" studs i believe. Colin...

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is the disturbing part. I had the hull glass blasted last year and discoveed a previous repair that wasn't too good a job. The separation was covered with a bit of fiberglass that could be ripped off by hand. I gouged it out and filled with thickened epoxy. Now after haul out i see this separation. What bothers me is there is a gap in the crack, why has it not closed up? Would this have happened when the weight was taken up by the sling when launching? Ive seen descriptions of this "smile" being repaired with flexible epoxy or 5200. There is no other separation along the lead portion of the keel. The joint between the aft fiberglass part of the keel and the forward lead section was done years ago and is holding up fine. Will check on torque again, 3/4" studs i believe. Colin...
before you retorque them, do some googling around to see if there is any info on your keel bolts. but is there is a gap, could be many reasons.

Aside from that make sure that the boat is sitting in the cradle correctly, weight of the boat on the keel. You should be able to wind down individual pads without too much difficulty if the boat is sitting correctly.

stuffing epoxy in the gap alone wont fix the issue.

·
Dirt Free
3,404 Posts
Glass and lead expand and contract at different rates and those types of fractures are typical in that repair method.
Sealing that gap with a hard filler like epoxy is bound to fail whether there is another issue or not.
Grind out the crack and fill it with something that will flex like 3M5200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts