SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to sailing and own a 2000 Sun Cat 17 since Sept. One thing puzzles me, in light air (but have also noticed in wind 10-15) while tacking both to port and starboard as the boom crosses and I straighten the rudder the boat continues to turn away, even if I push the helm all the way over it continues to turn away. Only way I found to stop it and turn back up is to let the sheet almost all the way out. My guess is that it has something to do with the depth of the keel. I have tried different elevations of the keel and have noticed some improvement but still have not solved the problem. Typically sailing in a river so there is some current, upwind down river.
Will be interested in reading your opinions.

·
Registered
521 Posts
When you mean turn away, do you mean the boat won't tack and you go back to the direction that you started from? Cat boats aren't known for their tacking abilities, or pointing abilities for that matter. Especially in light wind since they don't have a lot of momentum to complete the tack. I have recently bought a cat boat and am learning the difficulties of trying to tack it without my jib unfurled and it is not easy if I am pointed too high. It might help if the wind is light to fall off the wind and build up as much speed as possible and then try to tack.

Or have I misread your post and what I am saying doesn't apply at all to what you are asking?

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
The OPs boat is cat rigged (mast on bow, single sail) not a catamaran.

On a tack in light wind, it sounds like a momentum problem. Other than insuring as fast a tack as possible, you probably do need to fall further off the wind, build up speed and point back up. In heavy wind, the sail is being pushed, before it creates lift. You can try to counter steer earlier, but timing is everything. You'll dial it in with practice.

p.s. Full rudder deflection typically stalls the rudder and it does nothing but drag.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
If you're trying to sail to windward you should probably have your keel all the way down, if water depth allows.
You can raise it going downwind.

if you're sailing to windward against a current, the current could be pushing you down too. Build speed before a tack, make the turn smoothly through the wind. Too much rudder/ will act as a brake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts