SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become very interested in the sun cat as my first boat,

I really like the Idea of a shallow draft trailer boat that a single person can raise and lower the mast on even when underway and the availability of a motor is reassuring for a beginner.

Are there any other boats that are similar to the sun cat?

I have looked at the sea pearl 21 but I'm just not feeling any love for it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Recognizing that this thread is five years old, I find myself in a similar frame of mind.

The problem I am having is that the SC is probably just a little too heavy (1500#) for me to tow (2000# capacity), once allowing for the weight of the trailer and anything else left on the boat. Does anyone know what a SC actually weighs on the trailer?

Rephrasing your sentiments, I love the Suncat, but I probably should opt for a Picnic Cat, and l'm not feeling the same love.

·
Registered
25,122 Posts
I would not expect an appropriately sized trailer to weigh more than the 500lbs you have to spare. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to testing the upper end limit of the tow rating, as long as I wasn't going far and didn't have any real extreme hills, etc, to traverse. Buyer beware of that input.

I love the entire ComPac cat line. Very cute.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just got a response to this question from Gerry at Hutchins:

Displacements are always somewhat approx. There are many variables in building a boat that is not a class boat. Class boats must meet weight criteria but we do not have that restraint. The amount of glass can vary and even some of the materials can vary in weight. It may weigh 1450 or 1550 so 1500 is a good average number. This is of course for a base boat. Options will add to that number. Even bottom paint and epoxy barrier have weight.

The trailer weighs 320 lbs. So, for a base boat on a trailer without gear onboard you can figure 1820 lbs.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
A family frequently visits my lake with a Sunday Cat. It's super slick.

They get the mast raised and the boat off the trailer in about the time it takes me to row out to my my boat and bring it back to the dock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A family frequently visits my lake with a Sunday Cat. It's super slick.

They get the mast raised and the boat off the trailer in about the time it takes me to row out to my my boat and bring it back to the dock.
I love the Sunday Cat--it would be my ideal boat. Good luck finding one used though. The closest I've found is one in Miami.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.