SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever seen this article/setup before?

In a nutshell, they have two 4:1 tackles going from mid-boom to the toe rail on either side just forward of the companionway. The tackles share one continuous line that circles aft of the helm. Looks like there's cleats or clutches back there.

The author claims this setup allows him achieve sail shape better than with a traveler and that it is more effective than the typical "to-mast" setup of a traditional boom vang.

Good Old Boat - Vang/preventer: article

I don't fully understand it. If they've done away with the traveler, where does the main sheet go? Do they even still have one or are they just pulling the boom from toe-rail to toe-rail with these tackles?

It looks very interesting in that one would always have a preventer in place and would certainly have a more efficient angle for holding down the boom. Seems you could also "pole out the main" on a run in *****y light air.

On the other hand, it seems like a lot of line and that it would make going forward on the port or starboard sides more difficult.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yes, I've seen that before. I have a similar rig up, but still have the traveller. So in my rig the two gangs/preventers do just that. I like it a lot. Not having to worry bout an accidental gybe is a big deal. It gives me a lot of control over the boom.

Going up the side decks is a bit more involved, but all in all it is a good trade off, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Valiants have used such a setup for years, as a supplement to a conventional mid-boom mainsheet... I don't like it at all...

Obviously, it works for them, but I think on larger boats offshore, it's needlessly complex, and a recipe for breaking gear. IMHO it's not a substitute for a proper vang, nor for a preventer, which should be led from the end of the boom, instead...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hpeer and Jon.

I ask mainly because of my very narrow cockpit. Getting behind, or even beside, the pedestal is difficult and I have a cabin top traveler. I also happen to have the exact same boat (even the year) as the author.

I can move the traveler back to just ahead of the helm, but that would make it even harder to move around back there. I wondered about this setup more as an alternative to a traveler and for its effectiveness as a vang more than as a preventer. I'm new, so I don't go out if it's forecast much above 20 - 25kts and do all I can to avoid dead runs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts