SailNet Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I've never altered the cabin of a boat, but I know ribs are used to support the hull of wooden boats. I built a few wooden boats before.

FG is great stuff, but I see a lot of people cutting into FG structures parallel
to the length of these boats. For instance the Poti opening is usually first attacked. These short walls immediately in front of the poti go from port to starboard in small boats. I wouldn't simply slice out a huge front panel out without backing the edges of the remaining bulkhead as I commonly seen done, without installing a "U" shaped strap of 1/2inch X 2inch flat steel support behind it. Bolted in too, who cares about bolt heads. (bronze better of course). I would glass in the steel first, then bolt that to the back of the panel, and mahogany the front for appearance has they do now.

There is also repositioning the cabin support posts with angled elbows to be able to offset the fastening at the bottom. Seen that too. Yikes!

The front to rear cabin bulkhead wall separator panel that divides rear bunks from front/galley gets the blade next. This is to be able to see Tom and his brother who are supposed to be asleep. People just slice through these like a TV house "flip" show.

Has the boat sees less internal 'ribbing' which these structures are to provide as well as functional cabin utility, it scares me to think of what unknowns could happen. The stress points at bow and stern where port and starboard panels join would come under added pressure with every removal. Maybe in calm seas everything is OK, but it's in high stress conditions where proof of integrity comes through.

Anyway, just thought I'd say something about this.

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts