SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have inherited an Commodore 26 (maybe Commodore 269) and need information, particularly specifications. This boat was built in 1982 -- that's about all I know. Thanks--

·
Commodore T-26
8 Posts
I have Commodore 26 Info

I am quite familiar with the 1983 version of the Commodore 26 (actually T-26) and its history, constructuon etc. I have restored one. Be happy to answer questions as best I can.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Commodore

Hello,

I just purchased a Commodore 26 and am having a hard time locating any history, specs etc. on the boat. Would you mind sharing what information you have as well as any links for additional information?

Thanks in advance!

I am quite familiar with the 1983 version of the Commodore 26 (actually T-26) and its history, constructuon etc. I have restored one. Be happy to answer questions as best I can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Commodore T-26...A New owner too

I would like to know what folks have found out abut the T-26. I bought one last year, 1981 model. Perhaps we ocould slhare our best practices.
Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: I have Commodore 26 Info

I'm looking at several in Florida now. Anything spooky about them? eg: deck/ hull joint leaks, chainplate issues, blisters. They look great for shallow sailing, but I'm sure they must slip quite a bit when close hauled. Thanks for your willingness to provide info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are truly rock-solid, quality boats. Had mine for 3 years with no trouble. The fiberglass was hand laid in Pine Island by true craftsmen using a Columbia mold. Commodore took the mold and upgraded the features below decks and a full 6' headroom. I have some great woodwork in mine. No leaks to speak of and she sails remarkably well considering the shallow draft. Keep in mind she has a full keel so that helps any slippage. Commodores are by no means a racing boat, but for a weekender you just can't beat the comfort and shallow draft.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your help. I've sailed most of my life, live just off the St. Johns River in FL and am looking for an appropriate, shallow draft 22-26 footer. This tells me I need to check out the two Commodores I've noticed on Craigslist. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
progresst,
Would like to hear more about your boat, where you sail and upgrades you have made. Do you know whether sailorman321 is still sailing his 26?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Isn't that boat simply a rehash of the Columbia T-26? Someone bought the moulds when Columbia went down and kept the boat in production?

·
Registered
12 Posts
SloopJB that's one way to describe the Commodore 26... look like an very experienced sailor...for me... since I'm a newbie, I'm just trying to learn anything I can about this boat. Are you familiar with the original Columbia's? Any idea why they would change the rigging to fractional headsail with a loose footed mainsail? Appreciate anything you can add to the knowledge base...What kind of boat do you sail?
Tks Mac6464

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I owned a Columbia 43 for 9 years so I'm familiar with their construction methods. I am not personally familiar with yours, only from published info.

I have no idea why they would change the rig - maybe to make it easier to handle?

I currently own a Fortune 30 cutter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you singlehand your Fortune 30? Is it more of a racer or cruiser? One of the things I want to add to my 26 is the lines running to the cockpit...any suggestions about the best gear for that?

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
It's not a racer - look at the picture on my signature. :) It could be singlehanded but two is better. It was designed as a minimum offshore boat for one or two.

As to deck gear, if I was doing that with new gear I'd use Garhauer - very solid and well priced. They also have a very good rep for customer service.

When I'm looking for gear though I tend to hunt up stuff at consignment shops and on Craigslist rather than just ordering it - I love a bargain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: I have Commodore 26 Info

I am looking for info on the Commodore 26. Have any of you owned/sailed one to report on its performance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a Commodore 26T (1982). Like others I see on this forum, I'm looking for more information on sails, rigging, fractional rig measurements, etc. Any/all info appreciated. Thx!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts