SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Old soul
4,494 Posts
At this time, there isn't an option to reverse the order of the posts.
- Cricket
Is this something that will come, or is it not on the radar at all? I find this layout less functional. I can use it as is, but all other forum tools I've used provide the option to list threads new-to-old, or old-to-new. Seems odd this tool would not.

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Overtime you learn whose posts give reliable information, who has walked the walk as well as talked, who has a secondary agenda. You also got feedback on your own posts. Likes and thank you served this purpose well. Now the site is cold impersonal marketing. Could give a rodents behind as too how many reactions anyone got. Interested in who likes or said thank you.
bye
The thumbs up Like is still at the bottom of every post. Really not following how this format interferes with figuring out who walks the talk.

Give it some time. Most things are here, they have different terms and are in different places. Never stop learning new things, Doc.

Best I can tell, folks on one's ignore list are much more hidden, which is good. I really like that the screen scrolls under the command menus at top and one doesn't need to scroll back up to move on. Good with the bad.

I"m getting a cadence down. I click on New, which is defaulted to give me every new post. Then I click filter and select Following, so I can first see those threads, I've already participated in. Next time I go back, I have to to that again, which is inconvenient, but works.

This new format loads at lightening speed, compared to the old forum software. I think it's a clever idea to have a paid subscription that avoids ads. However, it's overpriced at $20/yr. Should be a lifetime price, even if $30 or $40. I've paid that on other forums, which are actually much more restrictive, if you don't pay, such as not allowing one to post a pic, or limit post length, etc.

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
How do you select New Posts, without getting Politics, but allowing Off-topic. I don't see a filter for that, like we used to have.

·
Administrator
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
How do you select New Posts, without getting Politics, but allowing Off-topic. I don't see a filter for that, like we used to have.

How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum".

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default.

Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is this something that will come, or is it not on the radar at all? I find this layout less functional. I can use it as is, but all other forum tools I've used provide the option to list threads new-to-old, or old-to-new. Seems odd this tool would not.
It is feedback that we have shared with the developers.

- Cricket

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Admin..... if you're not quoting the post your're replying to, it's difficult to tell. Did you reply to the No-politics comment by saying it's developer feedback?

·
Administrator
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Admin..... if you're not quoting the post your're replying to, it's difficult to tell. Did you reply to the No-politics comment by saying it's developer feedback?
My apologies. I edited the tutorial that I posted that was a reply to your question.

- Cricket

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Text formatting in the signature is limited. You can adjust bold, italic, etc, but not font size, color, or family. Those attributes are carried over from the old version, but not changeable in the dialog. You need to add these to the formatting menu on the Edit Signature page:

Also, the entries there are not WYSIWYG. Here is what currently shows up in my edit box, but the font sizes display in the much larger default size.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Still think reaction score is ridiculous as is the absence of thank you for this helpful post. Will look in periodically but believe I’m moving on.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Still think reaction score is ridiculous as is the absence of thank you for this helpful post. Will look in periodically but believe I’m moving on.
I hope you don't go. Your contributions are valuable to all of us.

Change is annoying. There are a few things I don't like as much (new format seems to leave a lot of white space, which is less efficient for phones), but I am also starting to see some improvements (such as pasting pictures into text instead of the clunky "manage attachments" requirement). I think that in time we'll all adjust.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I don't see an option to edit my just-posted post. I sometimes find this useful to clean up a message. Is this available somewhere that I'm not seeing?
Upper right corner:

·
Administrator
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ext formatting in the signature is limited. You can adjust bold, italic, etc, but not font size, color, or family. Those attributes are carried over from the old version, but not changeable in the dialog. You need to add these to the formatting menu on the Edit Signature page:
I will pass on your feedback to the developers.

- Cricket

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Thank you TF appreciate your kind thoughts but it speaks directly to what my issues are with the revap.

i like Capta. He just recently friended me after years. I respect him. As said a man is known my his friends. this was meaningful that a more experienced thoughtful cruiser friended me. Now gone.
i have great respect for MaineSail. What he posts you can take to the bank. He’s a very knowledgeable pro. I know he posts rarely. I want to encourage him to post more. When he posts something relevant to me I want to thank him. Now gone.
There are schools of thought, personality, type of sailing here with very different backgrounds. I could give a rodents behind about “reactions “. I do care who liked an individual post so I can judge how I should view aand think about a post. Now gone.
So the utility of this site has been downgraded considerably. The human social aspect as well. If I want to learn about my boat I’ll turn to the IO owner’s group, the type of sailing I do Morgan’s cloud and OCC. cruising information Noonsite, social SDR,CW, SA and others.
Would go on this site to shoot the breeze and maybe pickup a pointer or two in a warm friendly environment. Have no issues with the new mechanics which are easy enough. Don’t care about speed as 30 nanoseconds doesn’t mean much to me. But it’s hard enough to interpret a post, text or email for intent and emotion. The revap made it much harder.
As said I’ll follow along for awhile but suggest they put like back with who liked it, thank you for this helpful post and friending. Getting rid of reactions wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Also found posts where revised helpful.

·
Administrator
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
My apologies. I edited the tutorial that I posted that was a reply to your question.

- Cricket
I saw how to limit New messages to only those that I am Following, but did not see how to do so and avoid the Politics subforum.

I'm really just trying to avoid new political threads, but it's not terribly uncommon to have a thread moved to politics that I'm still subscribed to (Following).

21 - 40 of 129 Posts