SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I'm still not crazy about the overall screen layout of the new design. It would be nice to offer a "compressed mode" or something like that to reduce the amount of white/black space on the computer screen.

I'll retract my prior complaint about how the white space makes it less efficient on phones. After looking at it on my phone a bit more, it seems to actually look better on a phone than it does on my computer.

I'm also discovering little things that I like better, such as when people make really long quotes (an ongoing annoyance for me), it compresses to a snippet, which can be expanded with a click only if you want to (much more useful). You can also select text and only quote that information, which may reduce the number of excessively long quotes:

I realize that changing to a totally different hosting platform is a MAJOR event. There is no way a new platform will duplicate all the features, and some people will lose features that are really important to them. I can't speak for the reasons why the owners chose to leave vBulletin. I always thought that Sailnet's implementation of vBulletin was far superior to others (CruisersForum's implementation always seemed like a monstrosity), but judging by how features would break periodically, I suspect that there may have been back-end issues that made it hard to maintain. Or maybe with the ownership change, the new owner already used a different platform on their other websites and wanted to consolidate the platforms for efficiency. That's their prerogative, especially for a free website.

I appreciate the attention that they're giving to us with the rollout, and hope they're able to restore some of missing features that we're requesting. But it's not all bad - there are a few improvements that I'm seeing with the new platform.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'm still not crazy about the overall screen layout of the new design. It would be nice to offer a "compressed mode" or something like that to reduce the amount of white/black space on the computer screen.

The developers are actually working on that option for us. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'll retract my prior complaint about how the white space makes it less efficient on phones. After looking at it on my phone a bit more, it seems to actually look better on a phone than it does on my computer.
I also find on the computer the site is visually unappealing, both cluttered and sparse at the same time, and just generally visually annoying - as if it is trying to get you to leave it alone. However, it is excellent on my phone - much better than before.

Mark

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
My last and final sailboat was a 1973, 33 Morgan Out Island, a boat that some consider slow, but it reality, it sailed like a dream. Wide beamed, shallow draft (4'), full keel, huge interior and ****pit, and very easy for a relatively healthy person to sail single-handed.
Seriously. The c-o-c-k-pit thing is a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Seriously. The c-o-c-k-pit thing is a bit ridiculous.
I agree, but IIRC the prior platform did the same thing. It’s not a problem caused by the new platform.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
I agree, but IIRC the prior platform did the same thing. It’s not a problem caused by the new platform.
Hmmm. I know it did it with stand-alone words, but I don't recall it arbitrarily masking out unrelated compounds. Certainly not cockpit.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I think I specifically remember it redacting c0ckpit.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
I think I specifically remember it redacting c0ckpit.
Huh. Well then I guess I have used it more in the last couple of days than the last couple of years because I would have thought it silly then too ;) But it sure is fun to write Cockpit, cockpit, cockpit!

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I tried to bookmark the page that has New Posts. However, every time I return to it, I get a cache'd page with an old posting and still need to refresh the page. Any way I can just go straight to actual new posts?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Look for the tiny eye. (It may take a bit to catch up on the new platform.)
Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.
I have the required settings selected, but am unable to get the eyeball link.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I have the required settings selected, but am unable to get the eyeball link.
I was also confused. The eye only works going forward. Any thread you previously posted on will not have it until you post again after the changes. Check out this thread now and see if the eye appears.

Mark

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I was also confused. The eye only works going forward. Any thread you previously posted on will not have it until you post again after the changes. Check out this thread now and see if the eye appears.

Mark
Nope.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry if someone already mentioned this as I am on a mobile platform and did not have time to read the whole thread.
I am sure the algorithms will improve over time but it made me smile to see that one of the home page hot topics is a thread that has not been posted to in 5 years. Paolo would be proud... also, it seems to be able to deal with the Scunthorpe conundrum that plagued profanity filters of days gone by.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I am sure the algorithms will improve over time but it made me smile to see that one of the home page hot topics is a thread that has not been posted to in 5 years...
Why are these ancient threads showing up as “new”?
Oops, didn't see the recent replies.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Questions about phone vs. computer use:

Why are strikethrough and font family options showing on computer (Windows10 running Chrome)...

...but not on phone (iOS 13 running Chrome)?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I would love for you to restore the missing "Search within thread" feature which used to be available in "Thread Tools" on each thread. We have a number of long-running threads with >1000 posts, and "search within thread" can be very helpful if you're responding to something and want to search historical context (search by keyword) or want to see what you already posted 5+ years ago (search by user).

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
When I open the SN website, by default it goes to the "Popular Threads." Is there a setting to change this to "New Threads?" I know I can click on it, of course, or on the "New" icon at the top-right but I ALWAYS want to catch up on what is new, not what others might find popular, so can I avoid this extra click?

I know, First World Problems, but you asked what could make the experience better and this is one thing, for me.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
When I open the SN website, by default it goes to the "Popular Threads." Is there a setting to change this to "New Threads?" I know I can click on it, of course, or on the "New" icon at the top-right but I ALWAYS want to catch up on what is new, not what others might find popular, so can I avoid this extra click?

I know, First World Problems, but you asked what could make the experience better and this is one thing, for me.
How do you open SN? I have a bookmark in my Bookmark Bar but it is set to New Posts So I go directly to New Posts.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I would love for you to restore the missing "Search within thread" feature which used to be available in "Thread Tools" on each thread. We have a number of long-running threads with >1000 posts, and "search within thread" can be very helpful if you're responding to something and want to search historical context (search by keyword) or want to see what you already posted 5+ years ago (search by user).
This option is still available for you.

How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket

61 - 80 of 129 Posts