SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Sorry if someone already mentioned this as I am on a mobile platform and did not have time to read the whole thread.
I am sure the algorithms will improve over time but it made me smile to see that one of the home page hot topics is a thread that has not been posted to in 5 years. Paolo would be proud... also, it seems to be able to deal with the Scunthorpe conundrum that plagued profanity filters of days gone by.

The developers are working on a new homepage for us that will be live soon.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Huh. Well then I guess I have used it more in the last couple of days than the last couple of years because I would have thought it silly then too ;) But it sure is fun to write ****pit, ****pit, ****pit!
I have reported this issue to the team.

- Cricket

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket
This option is only available if searching for text (“update”). It is not available if searching for all posts by a certain user (search text field left blank).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I do this, but always get a dated screen that needs to be refreshed to get the current threads. Annoying.
Well, same here. I declared victory too soon, the 'charm' only worked when I first tried it.

The bookmark to "sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/" is magically converted by Sailnet (I guess) to "sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/XXXX" where XXXX is the post number the last time the bookmark was used (at least I think that is what it is). Meaning the OLD posts appear again, not the new ones.

Kind of defeats the purpose:cry:

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
Well, same here. I declared victory too soon, the 'charm' only worked when I first tried it.

The bookmark to "sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/" is magically converted by Sailnet (I guess) to "sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/XXXX" where XXXX is the post number the last time the bookmark was used (at least I think that is what it is). Meaning the OLD posts appear again, not the new ones.

Kind of defeats the purpose:cry:
Huh. I wonder if your browser is cacheing something? Or maybe you are expecting a different behavior that I don't. When I go to new posts, I see the new posts, in reverse chronological order...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Oh wait. Did you bookmark www.sailnet.com/ whats-new/ posts/ XXXX? You need to edit the bookmark to www.sailnet.com/ whats-new/ posts/ (without the spaces) and it will automatically go to the latest "new" file...
No I didn't. I bookmarked www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts but when I call up the page, this automatically adds the number of the last post at the end.

Maybe it is a caching problem on my browser (current Chrome), so if someone can tell me how to change it that would be great. Sounds like Minne has similar issues.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
No I didn't. I bookmarked www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts but when I call up the page, this automatically adds the number of the last post at the end.

Maybe it is a caching problem on my browser (current Chrome), so if someone can tell me how to change it that would be great. Sounds like Minne has similar issues.
Like MacBlaze said, you should edit your bookmark to eliminate the pose number. Then every time you click on the bookmark, the website will append a new number reflecting new posts since the last time. If you just refresh a page that has already loaded, you'll keep getting the same obsolete result.

·
108 Posts
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and, as we go through updates, will become a very personalized experience for our members.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc.regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support
Wow. I did not recognize Sailnet when I came back. Nice to see an updated website, not so crazy about buggy interfaces and poor intergration / transfer from the old platform. Looks like there are a LOT of issues to be worked out. Perhaps, advance notice would be nice. People could have updated signatures, profiles, saved photos, threads, etc. Seems like an update for the sake of an update. Newer does not always means better. I appreciate the effort but implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Hope you guys work out the kinks, and there are lots of them. Just sayin.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
I'm getting used to the new format. Much faster is nice. The only remaining bummer is having to constantly switch between all New Post and Followed New Post, by changing the filter selections. These should both be native search clicks.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
For the suggestion box, it would be nice if the posts identified the total number of post, ie #x out of x posts. When reading something one might reply to, you avoid repeating the answer if you know there are still several more to read first.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Still sucks. Still don’t see this as an improvement. Find myself posting less and going to this site less as it remains cumbersome. Please get rid of reactions and reinstitute like and thank you.

·
Old soul
4,509 Posts
OB, "Like" is still there, and seems to function pretty much like the old "like." If you're not seeing it, then there is a technical issue that needs addressing.

I don't see a "thank you". It was nice to have this kind of nuanced notation, but I don't see its loss as a big deal. "Like" can encompass "thanks."

The one thing I dislike about this new forum tool is not being able to order threads from newest post to oldest. But I can live with it. Nothing's perfect.

I still don't see a big improvement in form or function with this new tool. Seems a bit cleaner, and more modern-looking, but I'm not seeing a lot of advantages. Maybe it matters more at the back end.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
We will continue to see weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. :)

Take a moment to browse through the Community FAQs and let us know if you have any questions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Still sucks. Still don’t see this as an improvement. Find myself posting less and going to this site less as it remains cumbersome. Please get rid of reactions and reinstitute like and thank you.
Clearly your prerogative.

Constructively, I'm not sure I can predict the Admin's reaction to your pushback on reactions. To me, it's just different terminology for the same thing. Like button is still at the bottom of each post, along with identifying who pressed it.

I only mention this to suggest you may need to better define the problem, if you really hope for a change. If I were in the Admin's shoes, I wouldn't understand and, therefore, likely to make it a priority. Of course, it may be impossible to add thank you too. As I've said before, on the old system, there was no way to even know someone "thanked" your post, unless you went back to re-read one's own, which I very rarely do. Same the other way around, I may have thanked someone, but they most likely never knew. I stopped bothering, for solely that reason and exclusively used Like.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm getting used to the new format. Much faster is nice. The only remaining bummer is having to constantly switch between all New Post and Followed New Post, by changing the filter selections. These should both be native search clicks.
You don't have to switch back and forth. You can make your filters your default.

- Cricket

·
11,850 Posts
Let the dust settle a little.

some of the “old timers” seem a bit grumpy with the changes ( me included) 😀. Let’s see if I can figure it out over the next month or so. You have to break a few eggs to make a souffle

-i never understood the need for thank you so I don’t miss them
-i don’t like you have to ask for full signitures
-who cares whose had the most posts the last month...what significance is that metric that it is tracked
-not having posts in chronological order is like maximum entropy. I’ve seen cameradiere posts which are 10 years ago

I’m still trying to figure all the filters 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🤗🤗

81 - 100 of 129 Posts