SailNet Community banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
i don’t like you have to ask for full signitures

You can CHOOSE how you want to see signatures.

How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

- Cricket

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
You don't have to switch back and forth. You can make your filters your default.

- Cricket
Yes, I understand, but then I still have multiple clicks to see the other filter set. I used to be able to single click on UserCP and see all subscribed threads that had new posts. Or I single click on New Posts and see every thread that has new posts. (that reminds me whether this forum is going to have a no-politics filter)

Now I have to pick which I want as a default and multiple click to see the other, each time I view a new thread.

My sop is to first few all the threads I've participated in, with new posts. Once done, if I have time, I then check all New Posts. If I include following in the default, the odds are there are actually more that I'm not following and it extends the process. I suggest these two post search methods should simply be native.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Like MacBlaze said, you should edit your bookmark to eliminate the pose number. Then every time you click on the bookmark, the website will append a new number reflecting new posts since the last time. If you just refresh a page that has already loaded, you'll keep getting the same obsolete result.
We;ll, I'll be darned.

I went into the bookmark manager and, indeed, the URL of this bookmark has the old post number (6993). I did not see how to change it. But then something very unexpected happened: When I clicked on it, it opened https://www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/6993, exactly as expected. BUT, within a fraction of a second, this was magically replaced by https://www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/11698 which happens to be the current latest page!!! This happens completely automatically.

I suppose someone at SN has changed something? Assuming that the page number will be updated (and not remain stuck at 11698), the problem will be solved.

Magic, just magic!

·
Old soul
4,509 Posts
Let the dust settle a little.

some of the “old timers” seem a bit grumpy with the changes ( me included) 😀. Let’s see if I can figure it out over the next month or so. You have to break a few eggs to make a souffle

-i never understood the need for thank you so I don’t miss them
-i don’t like you have to ask for full signitures
-who cares whose had the most posts the last month...what significance is that metric that it is tracked
-not having posts in chronological order is like maximum entropy. I’ve seen cameradiere posts which are 10 years ago

I’m still trying to figure all the filters 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🤗🤗
Agreed (y). Give it some time folks. It seems fine to me. No big improvements, but no major negatives that I have found so far. Look and feel is more current, which is nice. Does seem to load faster, and I like the text editing box better.

I won't miss the "thanks" button that much (although I did use it on occasion). I'd still rather sort threads newest to oldest, but that's my only beef so far.

On the signatures thing, you can set your preferences to show them all by default, or to click to show.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I’m ok with the new layout - other than aesthetics and some formatting there doesn’t seem to be that much difference. I didn’t like the default dark mode but figured out how to change back to a white screen.

Can still read discussions about boats and sailing, so all good to me.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We;ll, I'll be darned.

I went into the bookmark manager and, indeed, the URL of this bookmark has the old post number (6993). I did not see how to change it. But then something very unexpected happened: When I clicked on it, it opened https://www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/6993, exactly as expected. BUT, within a fraction of a second, this was magically replaced by https://www.sailnet.com/whats-new/posts/11698 which happens to be the current latest page!!! This happens completely automatically.

I suppose someone at SN has changed something? Assuming that the page number will be updated (and not remain stuck at 11698), the problem will be solved.

Magic, just magic!
Yup, it's updating to the current newest number.

Thanks to SN for fixing this.

Overall I am happy with the new design. It is definitely faster. And I don't miss having to back 'back' over X pages after posting a reply.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
We;ll, I'll be darned.

I went into the bookmark manager and, indeed, the URL of this bookmark has the old post number (6993). I did not see how to change it.
Magic, just magic!
For what its worth, if you right click on the bookmark in the manager (or if it's in your bookmark bar) you should see an edit option. Just delete the offending bit and voila!

But I'm glad it's working for you. That Other Sailing Forum uses a similar system but uses a search id# so you can't deal with it the same way. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
Yes, I understand, but then I still have multiple clicks to see the other filter set. I used to be able to single click on UserCP and see all subscribed threads that had new posts. Or I single click on New Posts and see every thread that has new posts. (that reminds me whether this forum is going to have a no-politics filter)

Now I have to pick which I want as a default and multiple click to see the other, each time I view a new thread.

My sop is to first few all the threads I've participated in, with new posts. Once done, if I have time, I then check all New Posts. If I include following in the default, the odds are there are actually more that I'm not following and it extends the process. I suggest these two post search methods should simply be native.
I am not quite understanding.
  • Want to see new posts --> click new (adjust filters)
  • Want to see new posts you participating in --> Profile-Alerts
But I learned a long time ago you can never predict how a user will build their own methods. My old boss was a complete computer luddite but he always managed to surprise me with new (and often more efficient) ways to use software that never occurred to me.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
My sop is to first few all the threads I've participated in, with new posts
How To Find Subscribed Threads

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Master Mariner
8,247 Posts
I seem to be getting email notifications just fine since the change to this new format. But every time I open the program I get "stay up to date by allowing SailNet Community to send you push notifications." and three buttons. I don't want to change anything, just get rid of this notice.
Otherwise, the new format seems OK, though I would have been happier w/o the change. Old dogs, new tricks, etc.

·
Administrator
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I seem to be getting email notifications just fine since the change to this new format. But every time I open the program I get "stay up to date by allowing SailNet Community to send you push notifications." and three buttons. I don't want to change anything, just get rid of this notice.

Did you click No?

- Cricket

·
Master Mariner
8,247 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
...I don't want to change anything, just get rid of this notice...
No, I've not done anything because I don't want the notifications to stop.
You said you want the push notifications to stop. To do so, you need to click "no" when you get the opt-in request for push notifications. Then you will get rid of the notice, but email notifications will continue.

·
Master Mariner
8,247 Posts
You said you want the push notifications to stop. To do so, you need to click "no" when you get the opt-in request for push notifications. Then you will get rid of the notice, but email notifications will continue.
I don't even know what push notifications are. I want the question banner to stop. I do not want email notifications to stop.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
554 Posts
I don't even know what push notifications are. I want the question banner to stop. I do not want email notifications to stop.
Push notification are a new web thing. You see them pop up all over the place these days. They are like the notifications your phone gives you when a new email or message arrives. Very annoying. Just say no...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
When you get the banner, press no and it will stop.

·
Master Mariner
8,247 Posts
Push notification are a new web thing. You see them pop up all over the place these days. They are like the notifications your phone gives you when a new email or message arrives. Very annoying. Just say no...
Thank you. Now I understand.

Reactions: admin1

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
When are we getting a filter to keep Political posts out of our queries? They are starting up again.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts