SailNet Community banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Administrator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
When are we getting a filter to keep Political posts out of our queries? They are starting up again.
How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)

You can accomplish this by setting a custom default filter on the new posts page.

Step 1 Navigate to the specific forum you want to focus on and click "Follow Forum".

Step 2 From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on NEW.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. On the new page, click on filters.

Now you can adjust the filters to work for your personal preferences, such as the example above and save it as the default.

Make sure to click the "filter" button to save it, at the bottom.

- Cricket

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
Are you saying I have to manually Follow each forum on SN, except the politics, if I simply want to avoid the political sub-forum?

Once, I've done this, how would I get a search for new posts in threads I've actually posted within? I use the Following menu selection for that.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I see the developers took the approach "through it up against the wall and see what sticks". OK most of the stuff that stuck is an improvement, and the site is slowly becoming user friendly. It is a tortuous transition but will probably be better in the long run, and I will adapt.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Administrator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Are you saying I have to manually Follow each forum on SN, except the politics, if I simply want to avoid the political sub-forum?

Once, I've done this, how would I get a search for new posts in threads I've actually posted within? I use the Following menu selection for that.
It depends on how you have set your filters within NEW.

You can also do the following.

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket

·
Registered
5,318 Posts

You can also do the following.

Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view followed discussions, forums, your discussions, and participated discussions.

- Cricket
I don't think you're getting what he's asking. I think he wants to do a search for everything but politics as a default, without having to manually click on a couple dozen forums. Many of us want to do that.

The bigger issue is that the new forum software lacks a lot of search functionality that the old software had. I mentioned previously that there is no way to search the current discussion (aka thread) for every post made by a particular user. You replied by telling me how I could search within a discussion for a given word ("update"), which did not answer my question. I'm still awaiting an answer.

Whether it's Minne's concern or mine, search functionality in general needs to be upgraded to match the capabilities of the old software.

Also, is the private messaging functionality totally gone, or is it hidden somewhere I can't find?

·
Administrator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The bigger issue is that the new forum software lacks a lot of search functionality that the old software had. I mentioned previously that there is no way to search the current discussion (aka thread) for every post made by a particular user. You replied by telling me how I could search within a discussion for a given word ("update"), which did not answer my question. I'm still awaiting an answer.
This is what I have available for search at this time.

How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Also, is the private messaging functionality totally gone, or is it hidden somewhere I can't find?
How To Find Conversations (Private Messages)

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
As I said before, you can search within a discussion for text (“update”) , but you cannot leave the text field blank and search for all posts by a certain user. Please ask the developers to add this capability.

Reactions: admin1

·
Registered
21,806 Posts
So, the simple answer is, No. There is no native way to search for new posts and avoid the politics section. You have to make a huge effort to follow all the other forums and then pollute one's filters to posts in those forums.

Clearly a design miss. This should be a simple option. Being that politics is often debated as whether it even belongs in non-political forums at all, I have to think this is an issue elsewhere too.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts