SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after weeks of looking for a new boat I ended up going with an '88 compac 16. I took her out for her 'maiden voyage' on saturday and she was a fine sailor with a roomy cockpit, hardly any draft, and a mast that's light as a feather! I couldn't be more pleased...

well, there was one problem...

the bow eye (ubolt) is loose in it's seating (rotten wood block) and a small trickle of water is getting aboard! I assume I need to remove the rotting wood block and replace it, however, does anyone know how I should go about sealing it afterward? also, i need to look again, but i think i might need to cut some of the fiberglass on the inside of the hull in order to replace the wood it is seated in...
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
993 Posts
If you're talking about the u-bolt that is designed for use with the trailer winch, you're probably going to want to reinforce the inner side after removing the wood, by building up the area with solid fiberglass and then re-drill the holes and re-bed the bolt. Counter sinking the holes slightly and using a good sealant, like Sikaflex 291, and then tightening the nuts down should do the trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sailing dog, That is sound advice and I like the idea of building up the fiberglass rather than replacing the woodcore. Also appreciate the suggestion on sealant. I'm new to glasswork... does anyone suggest a system/resin/manufacturer?
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
993 Posts
I'd use MAS or System Three rather than West, since they're both low-blush/no-blush epoxies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, an update!

After inspecting the nuts on the bow eye, I decided that it would be in my best interest to just cut the bolt off. Unfortunately, I have no dremel, hacksaw or sawsall... Fortunately there was a mexican construction crew repairing the neighbors condo! After they cut the bolt for me (approx. 2 mins with power cutter), I removed all the rotten wood and surrounding material with a screwdriver, hammer, and pliers.

Next, I got a scrap piece of pressure treated 2x4 from the local woodshop... Shaping the block is no easy task with no tools! I found an old saw at a garage sale for a dollar and spent an hour or so trimming away at the wood. Finally got it cut down and it doesn't look half bad! Once satisfied with the shape, I used some Marine-Tex to cement-in the new block.

This afternoon, once the Marine-Tex is fully cured, I should be able to redrill the holes and seal in the new bow-eye with some 3M-5200...

I will keep you posted!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top