SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Companionway hatch extrusion

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
Has anyone got a source for this type of aluminum extrusion.

Thanks

Gerry

See less See more
#3 ·
LOL,

wow, what a complicated profile. Have you tried the mfg of your boat?

Errrr, no. Firstly they went out of business in the 80's and the photo is not of my boat, its a 30 Hunter and they are no help.

I'd Google 'aluminum extrusion' or 'extrusion profiles' and see what that gets.
Good old "Mr. Goggle", why didn't I think of that? I must be too busy googling "Kardashian + bikini."

Sorry Multihull girl, you did give me a good laugh and I don't want to be too unkind AND you did bump my post back up.:)

Fair Winds

Gerry

#4 ·
I get you, but plenty of people don't start at Google, you gotta know that...

that is one wacky extrusion, though. I'm feeling your pain, although I'm trying to find a portlight gasket extrusion that i can only describe as a 'P' with a serif on the foot of the 'P' shape. G.Zeus! who invents this crap?

#7 ·
That extrusion - is it your boat or do you just want one like it for your boat?

Looks pretty specialized - maybe a special run for that builder. Check the hurricane derelicts you might get lucky.

#11 ·
This is actually a very simple extrusion. The problem with extrusions is they are so cheap to design that anybody that can justify 1000 lbs of it will have the die cut and pass the cost off to the customer. A die like that is about $1500. The cost of aluminum is about $2/lb. So a part like that is about $10 of aluminum and $3 in finish. Add $5 for drilling and cutting. But you'll pay $125/pair if you can find them. Go figure.

I literally work every day with aluminum extrusions. I am an architectural designer. If you really need these, I can show you how to fabricate some pretty nice replacements for short money. PM if need be.

Don

#12 ·
This is actually a very simple extrusion. The problem with extrusions is they are so cheap to design that anybody that can justify 1000 lbs of it will have the die cut and pass the cost off to the customer. A die like that is about $1500. The cost of aluminum is about $2/lb. So a part like that is about $10 of aluminum and $3 in finish. Add $5 for drilling and cutting. But you'll pay $125/pair if you can find them. Go figure.

I literally work every day with aluminum extrusions. I am an architectural designer. If you really need these, I can show you how to fabricate some pretty nice replacements for short money. PM if need be.

Don
Why not post here and show us all?:confused:

We'll give you REP Points if you do!:)

#14 ·
As mentioned above, that extrusion might be a lot more easily found than one might imagine. What I don't understand why you are looking for that when a standard yacht hatch slide mechanism is stronger and much simpler. I do not see any advantage to using what will most likely be a non-marine grade aluminum extrusion and re-purpose it for your hatch.
Sorry about the pic quality.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.