SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed my companionway cover/hatch to refinish it and have noticed that the plastic sliders between the hatch and the top of the cabin have worn away. They are small in diameter, about a quarter the size of a penny, and I can't seem to find new ones in my area. Can anyone tell me where to get them or if there is something better to use. Its a lot of work removing all the hardware in order to remove the hatch if I have to replace these little sliders on a frequent basis. Thanks
Larry

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
You can probably replace the little sliders with a long piece of delrin or starboard. By spreading the force over a larger surface area, it will likely reduce the wear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Woodcraft stores have rolls of sticky backed teflon tape. I got some for the same application and it worked very well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the ideas. Harbin2, how long have you been using the teflon tape. I guess the Japanese Glide tape would be the same thing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For a year. Actually, I needed something to elevate the hatch a little since it was rubbing on the cabin top at the foward end. The tape is about 1/32 of an inch thick. It is working well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts