SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified their companionway boards to reduce leakage? My Tartan has two boards, which although they don't leak alot, a rain driven by a North wind (boat faces South in my slip) will cause enough water intrusion that I will be refinishing the interior wood around the companionway.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently replaced my 2 panel doors with 3 panel doors to provide for easier storage (which it does and I love it!). I cut the seams between the boards so that there is about 1/2 inch overlap on the outside and have never had water penetrate. I did have a monir issue towards the top with a bit of a gap, but my main concern was insects getting in. I ended up attaching self adhesive strips of 1/4 inch foam insulation to each side of the top panel. This plugs up the gap, fits nice and snug, and actuallly looks great.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My boat has a fitted Sunbrella cover that snaps over the sliding hatch and the companionway hatch. It was on the boat when I bought it, so I can't take credit for it. Never a drop of water inside.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
My boat has a fitted Sunbrella cover that snaps over the sliding hatch and the companionway hatch. It was on the boat when I bought it, so I can't take credit for it. Never a drop of water inside.
The cover is a good solution when the yacht's in her slip/mooring but it could be somewhat problematic when underway no?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I actually have a few friends in my area with the same type of cover. It's snapped in behind the traveller and hangs along the top and back of the companionway entrance. When out sailing you can fold it forward or leave it hanging without the boards or slider in place. I'm thinking about making one soon for my boat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts