SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the high priced yacht service guy and my ignorance, I had 3 Spartan seacocks replaced with the ball valve/ locking nut on the thru hull system two years ago. :mad: This may be common but after reading this forum, not a good idea. At least they were marine rated valves.
Looking at Mainesail and other posts here, I plan to correctly replace them with Groco stuff, either a flanged adaptor and reuse the ball valves or a BV series, full blown seacock.
The BV seacocks look HD but cost about $140 (1.5 inch) compared to the flanged adaptor route $30 when reusing the ball valve.
Other than heft and handle, a main specd difference appears to be that the BV uses a ss valve and stem while the in-line valves use a chrome plated brass ball.
Is this a significant difference and is cost the main reason that I dont see the BV series (or similar) recommended by the forum?
The BV appears to be somewhat less tall than the flange adaptor/ ball valve combo which isnt an issue for me but might be a consideration for others.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Get the flanged adapter... since it will make future work easier. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Groco catalog lists (marine rated 15PR) Full flow in- line ball valves, IBV series, as having "chrome plated solid brass ball (not hollow). They also list the (marine rated 647B) BV seacocks as having a "stainless steel ball and stem". Seems like a significant difference but I dont know if its important.
The flanged adaptor will definitely make future valve replacement easier but maybe the ss ball on the BV series will help minimize the need for a replacement??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts