SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just gave me a Plastimo Olympic 135 compass. It has a good sized bubble in it. I've removed bubbles in other compasses - but I need help with this one. Anybody have any (successful) experience or instructions?

I haven't been able to find an instruction manual on the net. I don't know which direction to turn. :rolleyes:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Or should I just learn to love the bubble?

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Have you taken it apart yet to see if it has a diaphragm and a fill plug? We had a compass develop a bubble when the diaphragm started to fail. The manufacture said to send it in, as it was a repair that couldn't be done in the field. I ordered the new diaphragm and did it myself and it was simple.

After replacing the diaphragm and getting the correct fluid to top it back off with, I taped a piece of string to the diaphragm. I filled up the compass with new fluid until it was full. then I pulled on the string, which pulled on the diaphragm and poured more fluid in. I held it that way while I put in the fill plug loosely. I released the diaphragm and bit and allowed some fluid to bleed back out of the filler plug while I tightened it down. No bubble.

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I wanted to try that but it has a diaphragm (so it won't get pregnant?) but no fill plug. The diaphragm removes easily but when you fill it it seems to be running somewhere out the top. I can't find exactly where because it has a flip-top cover that won't come off. This was why I was hoping for instructions. The thing may be shot - or require professional attention. (Read $$$).

BTW liked your video - I, too, am an Enya fan. What were they at the beginning, some kind of whale? They looked to big (and too far north) to be dolphin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.