SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, all!! My name is Missy and I'm married to Ken. Sailing is a barely formed dream of both of ours, we've never even been out in a boat on salt water! I would daydream about sailing around "the islands" whenever I read a book that included sailing. By "the islands" I mean whatever islands popped into my mind: the Mediterranean, Caribbean, North Carolina Islands, Florida Keys, any islands. My husband liked the idea of a "house boat" since he was a kid and a potential step-father had one. When he would talk to me about a house boat I pictured a pontoon with a hut on top and was very put off by that idea. Yesterday he sent me some links of what he meant. WOW!! These were like fully furnished trailers on a boat!! But, they looked like they were always on lakes and rivers and didn't look "sea worthy". Sea worthy is important because I've never liked lakes and rivers, only beaches but I HATE sand! So, I sent him links of what I thought of when I thought of living on a boat. We came to a compromise (I guess you could call it that) and started daydreaming and realized that it could work. So, I thought I would join here and start to see what it is all about. One of the first threads I noticed mentioned a book titled Changing Course. I read a preview on Google and even just the preview was enough to assuage most of my concerns.

The plan since before we got married was to finish college (we are both college students) and finish paying off some other financial responsibilities and then move somewhere that we would rather be. So, we've been tossing around different city ideas and daydreaming and doing research all along. The only thing that really enthused both of us equally has been this! So, we're starting some research.

We are going to start trying to get pregnant early next year so we are going to have small children wherever we end up. We are talking about buying a boat and living aboard in a marina for a while until we have all the knowledge to start getting further and further from shore until eventually we are cruising around the above mentioned islands!

We have lots of stuff and three pets and will be having children so we know this will be a HUGE adjustment in lifestyle before we can even consider the real first step of buying a boat and moving aboard. But, we're looking forward to it. We are both in the emotional space that we are ready to start cutting some old ties loose and gaining freedom from "stuff" and "clutter" and now we have a real goal to look forward to that will give us some motivation to work on de-cluttering!

I have lots of questions and thoughts and concerns. We are both a little afraid of the water but I figure that is mostly because we've seen too many horror movies and haven't had enough real exposure. We are going to start working on that during our already planned beach visits for this summer. We decided last night to make sure that we go out in a boat for a fishing trip or whatever to start to see how we deal with being over deep(er?) water. I think that is a good first step for us!

Anyway, sorry this is so long! I'm not always this long winded. Thank you for hanging in there!

Missy of BrightWolf.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome to the Net, Missy. This is a good place to start 'Changing Course.' A wealth of info and wisdom regarding all things sailing here on Sailnet.

In Montgomery, you are not far from Lake Martin, a good place to start the sailing experience. I'm sure you will find some sailors there. You might start by contacting Dick Cline at dickc7247 at aol dot com. He is the Fleet Captain for Catalina 22 Fleet #96 at Lake Martin. Welcome to the party.:thewave:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Net, Missy. This is a good place to start 'Changing Course.' A wealth of info and wisdom regarding all things sailing here on Sailnet.

In Montgomery, you are not far from Lake Martin, a good place to start the sailing experience. I'm sure you will find some sailors there. You might start by contacting Dick Cline at dickc7247 at aol dot com. He is the Fleet Captain for Catalina 22 Fleet #96 at Lake Martin. Welcome to the party.:thewave:
Thanks! Ken here, and I just wrote him asking for information, and just trying to initiate contact. I've been really enjoying this forum by the way. I'll likely be the lurker while Missy is more the poster, but trust that I'm here soaking in all I can.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I wanted to post a THANK YOU for this contact. My husband wrote Dick Cline right away and he invited us to their yearly open house thing that is happening next week!! How serendipitous!! We are both very excited and ready to go see the lovely boats and start learning! We both really thought that there would be nothing going on close to home, Lake Martin is only about an hour away :)

So, again, thank you for the contact. We will keep you all posted with regular updates and questions!

Missy of BrightWolf

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ken and Missy,

Fantastic!! I'm glad you made contact with Dick so soon. I don't know him personally. I just saw his name in the Catalina 22 monthly 'Mainbrace' and thought I could get you started by pointing you in his direction. What luck!!:D

I'm sure you'll find him and many others very encouraging. I think sailors in general are a pretty helpful bunch...always looking for new blood and railmeat to help crew.:laugher

Tell us all how the open house goes. And again, welcome aboard.:)

Pat
s/v Stargazer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.