SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am actually working on a major project to restore and modify heavily a Grampian 26 sailboat (Canadian built),The modifications I am planning to do are;the addition of a second rudder,build an engine well and a lazarette to enclose the outboard and by the way downsize the cockpit,transform the actuel bow in a clipper''s bow and after may be transform this sloop into a cutter,reorganize completely the interior of the boat to make it more functionnal and less cramped(including a unique 360 degree folding and rotating table),transform the forward passage into a shower,use a wet locker to enlarge and upgrade the head and many other improvements.You are all welcomed to visit my web site about this project at www.geocities.com/grampi2000/grampian26.html.Any positives or negatives comments welcomed for further discussion.

grampi2000

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Well 2 posts then nothing in 12 years, I think this is another one who got a free/cheap boat, and got way over there head, and lost interest. His plans really sounded a bit ambitious. Not sure why you would put all that into a Grampain 26, not a bad boat, but not something you should be throwing thousands into improvements. A boat like this needs to be cleaned up and sailed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure why you would put all that into a Grampain 26, not a bad boat, but not something you should be throwing thousands into improvements. A boat like this needs to be cleaned up and sailed

What a common sense way to look at it. The man I got my g26 from, said as I left, keep it simple. Right now I am just removing the mold and mildew from the interior walls. I gave the cockpit a good scrub over the weekend and she looks a million times better. I will make sure its safe to put in the waters of Maine in the spring, then sail it like mad, and tinker as I go. Beats the heck out of the list I started, as though I could do much of it once everything freezes up hard.
Thanks for the sound reasoning.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
I was a member of a boat building co-op for years. Many of the boats in the yard had been worked on for decades and would never see water under their builders ownership.
These guys that spent their lives building boats they would never sail enjoyed them every bit as much as the guys that went sailing frequently.

Whatever floats our boat.

But ..... a Grampian 26 !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thaw is coming out of the ground and lacrosse has officially begun. It may be later than I thought getting this baby in the water. Probably should get her surveyed, huh? A few areas or indications of needed repair and maintenance but I don't know about severity and which warts I can just live with

·
AL C
11 Posts
its been a long winter here in Boston. Im actually going to take possession Monday, so I'll uncover it and take a closer look. Bought it from an older club member and it's definitely a fixer upper, but for $1000 I couldn't pass it up :) now I just have to get rid of my power boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts