SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our head is acting up again. Imagine that. It's also the only head in the world that can NOT have an anti-siphon loop installed. The solution at this point is to rip EVERYTHING out and start over from scratch. As I contemplated this, I decided that now would be the time to try a composting toilet.

We've just ordered a "Nature's Head" toilet, which looks to be of better design and construction than an "Air Head." When it arrives we will um..... "christen" it and I'll update all on how it goes with emphasis on the "sniff report". If it works it could be the best thing to happen to boaters since the advent of fiberglass. If not, I'll let you know that as well.

Stay tuned!
MedSailor

PS. Any suggestions on what I should eat the day before "christening" it? Sorry, couldn't resist. :puke

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Best of luck,

many have tried....and the reports are not favorable. Different, but no less problems. Name your poison, but for sure let us know how it all "works out"....in the end....

dave

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best of luck,

many have tried....and the reports are not favorable. Different, but no less problems. Name your poison, but for sure let us know how it all "works out"....in the end....

dave
Thanks. I do view this venture with skepticism and come from a viewpoint of pragmatism rather than any overly-forgiving "tree-hugging" point of view. I promise to review it as accurately and fairly as possible. I seriously doubt it will be a perfect solution, but all I'm aiming for is one step better than a marine head, which is a pretty low bar.

MedSailor

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks

Just curious as to what your planned schedule of use is? Daysailing or liveaboard and how long between uses? From what I've read that makes a world of diff. Good luck

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
One issue you may have is how the composting head deals with heeling. All of the successful installations of them I've heard of hae been on catamarans... and that may be why.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just curious as to what your planned schedule of use is? Daysailing or liveaboard and how long between uses? From what I've read that makes a world of diff. Good luck
One couple living aboard full time, but working 9-5 off the boat. So for me the usage is probably daily, unless I eat lots of cheese... ;)

Interesting point SD. This toilet separates the urine, and dehydrates (rather than truly composting) the solids, so I expect heeling won't create a leakage issue, if that's what you were referring to. I also plan to take the old head through-hull and run a tube up to a waterless urinal which, because of our idiotic marine sanitation laws, will only be used offshore..... Never inland, after all "pissing in the ocean" is detrimental to the environment.

MedSailor

MedSailor

·
Registered
994 Posts
Oh. Composting toilet. I thought it said composing toilet, and got interested. I can fart out a perfect D and if I scroonch up real hard I can get out the E, but that's about it for me. Can't play a song.:laugher

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
If you can ever play a song, you need to see a gastroenterologist and change your diet immediately... or you're at risk of asphyxiation from methane. :eek:
Oh. Composting toilet. I thought it said composing toilet, and got interested. I can fart out a perfect D and if I scroonch up real hard I can get out the E, but that's about it for me. Can't play a song.:laugher

1 - 9 of 9 Posts