SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Looking at a Quickstep 24. One issue with this particular boat is compression at the mast step. Doesn't seem to be an all-around soft deck issue. Boat still sails, but I'm trying to learn how to fix. Not a lot of heavy windage here in the Finger Lakes of upstate NY, which is when it might make a difference performance-wise. However, I don't want to discount the problem and let it lead to much more serious problems. I don't have a picture yet. Anyone have this issue, heard of it, know of the most efficient repair process? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
People tend to over-tighten the stays on small boats. These are not 40 footers and the stays should be tightened appropriately. I have 2 thoughts on the subject that may be helpfu. First one ... After years of over tension and sometimes at a mooring rocking around 24 hours a day the deck gets a slight bowl under the mast base. The quickstep mast is deck stepped over an arched brace under the cabin house supported on 2 posts on either side. Frankly I doubt the posts are rotted on the bottom but this should be checked though one would expect cabinetry problems evident as well. Other than that the brace can be removed, the deck forced into position and a reshaped brace constructed or the original shimmed somewhat if it somehow settled. The brace is fastened to the posts with 2 bolts each and is easily removable. Second one...The cabin is cored with what may be balsa as the decks are. If water has intruded below the mast base the balsa will become soggy and collapse and would need to be repaired. Pull the stick, remove the mast base which is screwed to the cabin house and check if there is moisture in the substructure. If you or someone drilled holes around there that would be a red flag. The boat originally only had one set of conductors coming up into the mast from beneath the mast step for the steaming light.
I have owned Q24's for a while and have seen this problem and passed on boats during my original search. I have sailed my current Q24 thousands of miles over the past decade and the deck remains as designed which leads me to believe this is a user induced 'problem with the boat'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts