SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Believe they were built in Asia for a Dutch (?) outfit. Gary Mull did the 40 footer, if I remember correctly, which has a reasonably quick PHRF rating for a boat of that vintage. (Also see Pearson 37 for similar performance.) The Kalik 40 has very nice lines, but the one I saw (a while back, to be sure) had teak decks, and the attendant leaks. This can be a major headache.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I''ve heard this as well. Originally manufactured in Belgium as Kalik, later moved to Korea (?) as Concept. Gary Mull designer.

Anyone know how to find out more? Perhaps, even locate a copy of brochure or how to find out more about Gary Mull?

I''ve searched the web with little result. Any help would be great!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there,

some time ago I looked at a Kalik 40 for sale here in the SF Bay area. Also couldn''t find out much info about it. A quick checkout did turn up similar problems as mentioned in the other post: leaky teak decks, springy sections especially around the cockpit, as well as forward of the chainplates.

Overall I liked the looks of the boat, but thought that the build quality wasn''t great.

Have you tried talking to the broker/owner about info? They should have at least some.

Enjoy... Chris

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

While the boat does have teak decks there is no leaking. Boat also appears to be build very solidly, no flexing. In fact, it appears to be very solid.

I''ve spoken to the broker, but he didn''t have much more than what''s been stated above.

There are a few Concept 40s around locally, all appear in great shape. Haven''t seen a Kalik yet. Perhaps quality improved.

Thanks again,

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've have a 1982 Concept 40. Boat very solidly built as 2 surveyors have attested ("brick __house", etc.) I replaced all deck hardware which was very marginal to begin with. Sails extraordinarily well. Have also replaced original teak decks with faux teak. And replaced Pathfinder diesel which was problematic. Classic good looks and interior. Currently for sale.

Jim in Ventura

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.