SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Allmand 31 with a universal m35 diesel and am in the process of hooking everything up. I am coming along pretty well but have gotten hung up on hooking up the hot water heater.
Where do the hoses from the heater connect to the engine.
This is my first boat and will have many questions.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you can get the book for the motor, it may show it. Mine is a different brand, but it had a plug in the thermostat mount and one on the water pump that I had to install a barbed to threaded fitting to the hose.

·
phallo 1, Gustav 0
141 Posts
This is a close-up of your water flange group; item 8 is the bypass hose that is probably installed (I hope!) since your hot water heater isn't. One of those nipples (I'm guessing the one on the pump itself) is the output to your HW heater, the other (#6) is, I believe, the return from your HW heater.

I have the same setup on my M2-12, but have the HW heater disconnected. You may want to hook up two hoses into a bucket, and turn the engine over to confirm which one is the output.

Torresen Marine

·
Registered
1 Posts
On a similar note....I am looking at removing my hot water heater for a couple of reasons (it is old, large and in the way and more importantly, my fresh water system is defunct...). Anyway, upon looking at the setup, the engine coolant expansion tank is connected to the hot water heater (I assume to help heat the water while away from shore?) and as such I got a little timid about removing the heater. My question is, do I need the hot water heater for some reason? If not, do I just bypass the heater and hook the 'out' from the water heater tank back to the expansion tank?

That sounds awfully simple and most of the time when something is simple it is wrong...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts