SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do a lot of trolling when we sail the eastern Caribbean. We've done OK, with catches including a 40# Wahoo (27 steaks), a Blue Marlin, the usual Dolphin (even a double header one day!), tuna, and plenty of Barracuda.
However, every year it is getting harder and harder to produce fish and it requires more and more time put in cleaning the weed off the lines. And that weed is getting bad!
So I went looking for an answer why, since 2011, this has been plaguing us. Perhaps this article doesn't have all the answers, but what it did have to say took me completely by surprise because I couldn't figure out how the weed was getting from the Sargasso Sea, against the wind and currents, to the eastern Caribbean.
For those of you interested in things like this I post the link;
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/07/great-atlantic-sargassum-belt-here-stay/593290/

Reactions: outbound

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Last year it got so bad that the smell of rotting weed kept us off a lot of beaches. Resorts resorted to bulldozers to clear the stuff. The usual drop lines off the stern when at anchor were unproductive. Our usual trailing two Cuban yo-yos became such a chore while underway we stopped doing it.

·
Master Mariner
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We also troll with hand lines. however, We use an 18' outrigger on the stb side and this does often shake the weed off, but the flat line to port seems to catch less weed overall. Go figure?
Can't say that the outrigger actually does catch more fish (some days yes, others no) but it's a much more impressive hook-up, which is fun for our guests.

Attachments

·
Master Mariner
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Again, we seem to miss the countries that are polluting the earth and give them an allowance to do so as we say they are 'Developing'.

It sux big time.

·
Master Mariner
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Again, we seem to miss the countries that are polluting the earth and give them an allowance to do so as we say they are 'Developing'.

It sux big time.
Huh?
Many of the Caribbean, Pacific Island and even many of the African nations are leaps and bounds ahead of the 1st world industrialized countries in pollution control. They have already outlawed single use plastic bags and Styrofoam food containers (not just straws) and doing all they can to minimize products that end up in their land fills, as they don't have the where with all to ship that stuff off the islands.
It's the big industrialized nations, with their pollution credits and economies based on greed, rather than based on what's best for the planet, that are still the major polluters. One major polluter has withdrawn from major international agreements designed to minimize various forms of pollution, saying that climate change is a Chinese plot to stifle their industrial output!
Funny thing though, the progeny of these major polluters will one day have to live in the same world left by these incredibly greedy and careless titans of industry just like the rest of us, and yet they don't seem to care.

·
Master Mariner
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What?

I'm not talking about the Caribbean countries.

The report you linked to clearly identifies as a cause is Brazil's poor agricultural practices letting huge amounts of fertiliser into the Amazon and letting it get flushed to sea.

Mark
Sorry, I misunderstood. But I'd almost call Brazil a 1st world country these days, just like so many who's president is so on the side of the wealthy polluters. I guess the difference is that if the Amazon forests disappear, so will most species on the planet, and a lot sooner than climate change could do it.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
1 - 9 of 9 Posts