SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 12' aluminum Petrel. Neither the seller, nor various other people selling them on the internet seem to recall how the lines ran. Apparently they were semi-popular 35 years ago and then everyone put them in storage and forgot about them. Anyhow...
A picture of the boat is attached.

The boom and an eye on it for the outhaul, but nothing else. No pulleys or cleats, or any holes where they might have been. All I can figure is that the outhaul got tied to the eye.
Any ideas how it is supposed to be? I figure putting a cleat in for the line after it goes though the eye at a minimum.

The mainsheet seems to clip to a pulley on the end of the boom, go down to a pulley on a traveler, back up the the boom pulley, down to the traveler pulley again, and to your hand. Does that make sense?
Videos on youtube show it going from the middle of the boom to a pulley/cam cleat on the centerboard housing. And there is a pulley in the middle of the boom that is turned perpendicular to the boom. I can't imagine what that is for.
Any ideas how it should be run?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Your description of the rigging of the mainsheet sounds good to me. Some pics of the traveler and end of the boom would help. And you are probably right that the outhaul was just pulled tight and tied off.

Note there is nothing magic about how the boat is rigged. Feel free to make changes and upgrades to make it work better for you.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I looked at "sailing dinghies pictures" ,boom aft end, port rail, boom, starboard rail, boom end, mid boom, center cockpit floor, hand. boom vang and down haul. Perhaps even the out haul. Can't tell from the pictures. I am not a sailor just a technician.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have included these pictures with my first post. Sorry.

Boom3 is the end of the boom, showing the eye for the outhaul and the pulley.
Boom2 is the odd pulley in the middle of the boom.
Block is a double pulley that was in the sail bag. The traveler rope was rotten away, but I am guessing the double pulley goes there.

Would it make any sense to reverse the pulley at the end of the boom and the loose one, and straighten the one on the middle of the boom out.
Attach the mainsheet to the traveler, take it up over boom, down to the traveler, up to the boom, over to the one on the middle of the boom, and down to a pulley/cam cleat on the centerboard trunk?

Attachments

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Your main sheet rigging looks almost identical to the one on the Vagabond 14 I just bought. You can compare the block setup here: Untitled Document (refer to the H1-14 Boom drawing.)

You can also read the original assembly manual here: Hobie Holder 14 - Assemby Instructions for notes on how it's rigged. Pages 6 and 7 cover the mainsheet and traveller, I think.

The main difference is that the outhaul on mine is caught in a jam cleat on the aft end of the boom, not tied to an eye. I think it would work to tie off to an eye on the boom, but you'd have to have some way on the mast-end of the boom to adjust sail tension - like a jam cleat or something.

I think. I'm still new to this whole sailing gig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to do my mainsheet similar to the video. I have a one pulley on the boom in between the two he has; but no holes where his pulleys are.

I can't see how he did his outhaul, but I think the suggestion to just add a jamcleat is reasonable.

There is a pulley on the deck built into the mast step. He doesn't seem to be using it. I am guessing it is to pull the centerboard up, though that doesn't seem necessary as there is a little latch built into the center board.

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
My 14 has a standing pulley with a cleat on a pivot for the mainsheet, but it's mounted at the back of the centerboard trunk, aft of the centerboard, not at the mast step. Probably 24" aft of the step, total.

EDIT: Ha! I actually watched the video this time. You can see a similar thing aft of the centerboard there too. Looks like the mast-step pully is unrigged on that boat as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts