SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this, but as the concept is new to me, I thought I would post it here.

I'm refurbishing a 26' sloop. Right now I'm working on the deck - re-coring, re-mounting hardware, painting, etc. This boat has jib and genoa fairlead tracks all over the deck.

There is a pair alongside the cockpit, a pair alongside the cabin trunk, a pair that run in a curve just inside the toerail, and a short pair along the tops of the cockpit combings.

I have no idea when to use the various tracks for running the jib/genoa leads. My guess is to use the inboard ones when close hauled and the outboard ones when running.

My big question is whether, during my refit, should I remount all these tracks where they are, or just remount the ones I know I'll need to get going and mount the other ones as I learn to sail this boat?

BTW - I have 150%, 130%, 100% foresails and a staysail.

Thanks

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,102 Posts
I suspect you boat doesn't have a slotted alu toerail, thus the outside tracks, useful for reaching and/or mounting spinnaker blocks. the forward inboard support a working jib, the aft tracks various genoas. i would install them again unless you know you have dumped the sails that they permit trimming properly.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Sounds like at some time there were many different headsails on the boat? All the tracks allow for the different sails. How many headsails were on the boat when you got her?.......i2f

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If you are re-doing the whole shebang, I'd get rid of most of them as superfluous. As suggested above, they are probably there to deal with a variety of different headsails that need different trim angles and angles of attack. In the Newport-Bermuda race last summer several "hot" boats had their jib lead blocks set up on a short line or track that ran between a car on the toerail track, (outboard) and a track on the inside edge of the deck at the cabin trunk (inboard). Not only could the cars move forward & aft, but the lead could be adjusted in or out as well. This meant they could trim their headsail to essentially anywhere on deck. Minimal weight, minimal cost, minimal leaks, maximal trim options and performance. K.I.S.S. Works every time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I pulled the tracks off today and could tell that they were the source of my leaks and deck core decay. All good hardware, just improperly installed. The backing was too narrow (1" teak) and the washers were too small.

I bought the boat with two #1 genoas, a #2, a #3, a staysail, and a small spin labelled "blooper".

Right now I'm thinking I'll re-install the tracks where they were as I'll be using the same sails. I'l just do it the right way this time.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If it works, do it.

A blooper is flown at the same time as a spinnaker, but not by itself. It gets tacked down near the bow, hoisted on a jib or spinnaker halyard, and sheeted well aft on the opposite side from the spinnaker pole. It was developed to help IOR boats with their skimpy mainsails gain unmeasured sail area when going dead downwind. They can be a bit tricky to keep flying sometimes. Today's shorter courses tend to make them less frquently seen than before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts