SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all this is my first post and I need some help in sorting out my confusion. I am considering the purchase of a Pacific Seacraft 34.
I have seen this boat also referred to as the Crealock 34. Out of curiosity, I was wanting to see what the PHRF was for this boat. PHRF New England has a rating of 201 for the Crealock 34 and a rating of 195 for the Pacific Seacraft 34. Are these different boats? I am aware that the Ericson 34-2 was made by Pacific Seacraft for awhile, but it had a rating of 123 and I didn't think that it would change much under a new manufacturer. I have not been able to find any information that shows that a Pacifics Seacraft 34 is not also a Crealock 34 or any difference between them.
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank you!

·
19,488 Posts
Check these two links.. there seems to be some subtle differences, however whether or not you'd notice is debatable. No layout drawing on one of them, so that may be the larger difference, also the PSC 34 is listed as 1500 lbs heavier. The Crealock is listed as a 1979, the PSC 1985 so it's the later 'refined' version presumably.

Otherwise they look very similar indeed, dimensions and rig especially. I suspect the weight difference is in installed joinery or other equipment.

CREALOCK 34 (PACIFIC SEACRAFT) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

PACIFIC SEACRAFT 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

·
Registered
256 Posts
Faster is correct - the newer boats are 'stock' with equipment which was offered as an option on the earlier boats, particularly the very early boats, such as those built in the late '70's and early '80's; refrigeration, A/C, and hot water, for example. Also, the new and newer boats are using a different spar manufacturer, make use of modern materials, etc.

I've never paid much attention to PHRF ratings, but the differences between the older and newer PS boats are subtle, IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that information, JoBeth. I sort of generally considered "Crealock" to be in deference to Bill Crealock as designer of this boat. I stand corrected. However I may still keep on as referring to mine as "Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34".

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - Ariel 1992 Hull no 225

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you read the history of the Pacific Seacraft you will notice that Bill Crealock designed the boat to himself at first. He was not commissioned by a boat builder to do it.
Ones he had the design ready he showed it to boat builders and they showed interest to build it. He picked Pacific Seacraft to build it based on the fact that Pacific seacraft agreed with him to build the boat without changes and Pacific Seacraft built quality boats.
His name was the name of the model.
Years later because of some royalties dispute or some other reason Pacific Seacraft started to market it under Pacific Seacraft name.
My boat is a 91 Model. A Crealock 37 and I am proud of it. The Logo on the Sail says Cr 37.

·
Registered
256 Posts
"1984, Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34" or "1984 Crealock 34." Either or. That's how I identify Jo Beth.

·
62 Posts
I'm almost certain the 37 was originally called the "Crealock 37" back when the first 16-or-so hulls were built by Cruising Consultants, a company that went bankrupt and sold the molds to the then-California based Pacific Seacraft. I think that was around 1980. But I'm not sure how the subsequent hulls were named. My recollection is that by the mid- to late-nineties, though, the whole series were being marketed as the "Pacific Seacraft" line, designed by Bill Crealock, whose name and discussion of the boats figured prominently in the company's literature. However, when I looked at the reviews of the boats in both editions of Ferenc Mate's book "Best Sailboats", he referred to the whole series, from the 34 to the 44 as "Crealocks," and the second volume was published around 2003. So I'm not sure what to call them.

Maybe it's best just to call them beautiful and leave it at that...

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

1 - 9 of 9 Posts