SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a note from a surveyor who suggested connecting the head of the roller furler to the mast, thereby freeing up the jib halyard so that it can be used for other things. I have not heard of this, or know how it would be done. Has anyone come across this before? good idea or no?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm interested in hearing why it's a good idea. I can remember at least once over a few boats of ownership an incident where the furler broke, and I had to lower the sail with the halyard. I guess if you did what this surveyor suggests, you'd send someone up the mast, maybe in conditions that aren't so great?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a bad idea to me! That would mean you would have to go up the mast to drop your headsail! Also you would have no control of halyard tension.

What else would you use the Genoa halyard for?

I would seriously question that surveyor's sailing experience. Perhaps he should stick to the stuff he knows and keep his rigging advice to himself!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Maybe the same surveyor who told me that my two 6 volt GC batteries ( series connected to make 12 volts) were really bad for a steel boat. That steel boats require nothing but 12 volt batteries.

I asked him why? He got out some paper and started talking and scribbling, which devolved into in incoherent muttering, and the he stopped and went on to something else.

Why I don’t like surveyors. They don’t police their own ranks to weed out the franks.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Let's have the name of the surveyor. He obviously doesn't have a clue to how a sailboat is rigged. I wouldn't hire him to survey a rowing dinghy. If the upper swivel is fixed to the masthead, how are you going to lower the sail without going up there and disconnecting it. Of course, then you have to go back up there using some other halyard than the jib and don't forget to bring the job halyard back down with you after reattaching the furler to the mast.

Peter O.
1969 Pearson 35, 'Ae'a
1976 Sabre 28, Ms American Pie

·
Registered
926 Posts
The OP's first sentence states that he 'came across a note'. Not much detail given. Perhaps it was a temporary attachment, maybe some other reason...the surveyor seems to be getting lambasted based on pretty sketchy information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the previous owner had an insurance survey done, and this was one of the recommendations made. It sounded strange to me, but I'm a new sailor and thought it may be something I had not heard of before! (It wasn't done).

If I need a halyard to raise a victim in a bosun's chair or dingy, I use the main halyard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts