SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Gozzards are beautiful and well-made boats. I was on one at a boat show 15 or so years ago, and I still remember the pride the Gozzard guys had in what they created. They enthusiastically showed me all of the little (and big) innovations they had crammed into the boat (it was the 31 or the 37). First class joinery. This particular boat had a bunch of extras too, like stainless dolphins at the caprail break. Fancy. I've never sailed on one, but you can estimate it's performance based on the hull form and sail area.

If you like that kind of vibe, you might want to check out the Island Packets too. Traditional styling, but a little more practical: no clipper bows, and little woodwork above decks. Many models have swim platforms. Bullet-proof rack and pinion steering. And below, the joinery and workmanship is the equal of Gozzard. And if it's that "dinette-in-the-v berth" use of space below that you like (and I agree!), then look for an IP Estero. I don't think they're making them anymore, but the Estero is basically the IP 37 hull with the (to me) more practical interior that is very much like the Gozzard's. Neither the Gozzard or the IP is going to win many races, but they are both stable, forgiving and comfortable long-range cruisers.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts