SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I'm new to sailnet and new to sailing. I don't own a boat yet, but have taken some sailing lessons in the fall of 2016. I live along the upper part of the St. John River Valley in New Brunswick, Canada. I am considering purchasing a locally owned 1970 Irwin 28 that was repowered 3 years ago with an Electric Yacht 48v 180ibl motor. The history of the boat is that it was in Maine for the first 25 years of it's life on the coast, and the last 22 years it has been in New Brunswick on the River. I took a quick look at her yesterday, and the owner is no longer able to enjoy the boat so is selling. It is still under the winter tarp, but I did manage to get down below and found that the propulsion batteries unfortunately are dead, so I will need to purchase replacements. I am going to thoroughly inspect the boat myself first, and then if I am satisfied, hire an surveyor. I am using information at Marine Surveyor, Port Credit Marine Surveys, Toronto, Ontaro, to guide me in my inspection process. Anything else that I should be looking out for specifically on the I28 before I start the inspection process? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I converted my Nonsuch 30 to electric propulsion in 2008 and have never regretted it. Very little maintenance and the boat always smells clean and no fluid leaks to keep an eye out for. What kind of batteries are they? Flooded, AGM, Gel or Lithium? Mine are AGM's and have lasted eight trouble free years. Got a new set last year but, only because one of the four went bad. The three others still worked fine.You might want to have a Marine electrician check out the charging system for the batteries. Might not be the surveyors strong point. But, my chargers are still working fine after eight years so I doubt they would find a problem but, still good to have it checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts