SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently reconfiguring my S2 9.2C. will be Beta Marine Kubota, with CV Joint and thrust bearing config.

looking for advice on installing CV Joint, type you have, the issues, the good, the bad, the ugly. thoughts ?

it will have one....looking for your help and considered input.

Thanks!

·
Mechsmith
240 Posts
The best type is similar to the front wheel CV joint found in most front wheel drive cars. The joint is sealed within a rubber bellows and requires no additional maintenance until the bellows splits. It has six rollers in a cage and slots to fit both driving and driven.. It is picky about length.

The second type is a double cross and yoke with a spring loaded separator. These are commonly found as the forward joint in 4WD pickups. Impossible to seal the lubricant well and they are relatively short lived.

The third type is a 3 pins and 3 rollers riding in slots. Easy to seal and long lasting as long as the bellows remains intact. Has the advantage not being too fussy about the length of the shaft. This one is found as the inboard joint in front wheel drive automobiles.

The best setup is to have a three pin and roller at one end of a shaft and a a six roller and slot at the other. This allows for some misalignment and movement. Takes up some room though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have an Aquadrive unit on my boat. My engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F.

Welcome to Aquadrive

I have to say the unit is very robust and there really isn't any maintenance except to check the hose clamps on the bellows every once in a while.

The pros:
- Zero vibration in gear or out of gear (you won't believe the difference!).
- Very quiet engine operation (soft engine mounts and no attrition).
- No maintenance.
- Allows you to use your engine out of alignment (eliminating all the problems associated with engine alignment in a conventional system).
- Reduces wear on engine and gearbox.

The cons:
- More complex installation involving glassing in a small support to take the thrust of the prop shaft.
- Fairly expensive to buy.

In the end I think it's worth having, but I'd want to carry an extra rubber bellows and hose clamps in my spare kit if I were venturing far.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Aquadrive makes a Good product.
I have wanted to do this changeover for years... but just cannot find enough room between the trans and the shaft bellows to fit it in.
Check with the vendor on how much space is required. Maybe there's enough room in your boat.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Olson, as you probably know, the Aquadrive gives you a certain amount of room to move the engine around in the installation. What remains fixed in place is the prop shaft, which will be shortened in the installation. You can move the engine back a little and it can be up to 15% out of alignment. With some tinkering, you can probably make it fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts