SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming into the home stretch of finishing the boat. (Stop laughing, please)

Two big projects left, dinette table and covering the cabin sole. I like the look of teak and holly so I have milled up some walnut and thin maple strips. My plan is to glue the walnut (about 2 3/4 inches wide) to the maple (1/4 inch) , resaw the combination to about 3/8 inch thick
Take that assembly and bond it to the flat areas of the sole. I could use epoxy as the bonding agent.

There are areas of the sole that follow the contours of the hull, curves. To finish that area I was thinking of resawing the walnut/maple pretty thin, maybe 1/16 inch and use contact cement to bond it to the curved sole.

This is the question, will contact cement be suitable to bond the thin wood assembly to the curved sole? I like the fast grab of the cement but am concern that it will not bond to fiberglass and may not be all that water resistant.

I'm also thinking about sealing the wood with epoxy prior to assembly with the sole but here again I'm concerned about the bond strength between epoxy and contact cement.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have done lots of laminating Formica with contact cement. I would not use a water based contact cement. Other than that, contact cement is water proof and will stick to plastics, like polyester fiberglass resin, and rubber, they use it to seam rubber roofing and flashing to rubber roofing.

Some tips for using...if the surface is rough or wood. I would do two coats, till you have a glossy glue finish on both surfaces, dry to the touch before joining both together. Use some kind for thin slats between the two surfaces when positioning. Once positioned, stick one edge down, then remove the slats. Once you start to stick it down, there is no going back or repositioning the piece.

The only thing contact cement does not like is heat. To remove, use a heat gun. And be careful using in confined spaces, very flammable and volatile.

DAP 32 fl. oz. Weldwood Original Contact Cement-00272 at The Home Depot
Leech Adhesives X30Q Waterproof Contact Cement, 1 Quart Can: Amazon.com: Industrial & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@317cByoryBL

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Delta-T, thanks for the advice. I've done laminate with contact cement before and used the dowels to aid in positioning the laminate. Also have used wax paper for the same purpose.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Coming into the home stretch of finishing the boat. (Stop laughing, please)
LOL.
Yes, I laughed, sorry. :D

Sounds like a good project. I did see a blog post somewhere that someone used some epoxy as part of refinishing his sole and it really brightened things up from what he had before. I'd be interested in seeing how yours turns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts