SailNet Community banner

1981 - 2000 of 5069 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
My apologies. He spent a year at school in Australia and did a fair amount of touring. He also likes to peek over my shoulder.

I have the following location to offer with two somewhat useless photos. More photos may be added. Most of them are useless. The big hint is that these photos were taken in September of last year.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Alaska, Port Clarence.

Not that I know Alaska and I have never heard of Port Clarence... but hey, how wrong could I be.

September is beacaus the sea ice has mostly melted. Those lumps in the top photo arn't ice but after the anual Gay Mans Shave-A-Thon they leave a bit of shaving cream.

The cloud on the horizon in the top photo is Russia. Because every one knows that commos live in near darkness.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Close but not quite. You're on the correct continent but not the right country.

More hints: This is not a cruising destination. They receive a couple of annual sea lifts. Fishing here is amazing. So is this local vehicle:

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Never having been that far north the Arctic is something of an unknown quantity but how about Repulse Bay ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice work and back to you tdw. The Canadian Arctic is some of my favourite stomping grounds for work, although I don't think they've seen many sailboats.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Now that was a surprise. Stab in the dark but sitting right on the Arctic circle RB seemed worth a shot.

Have a go at this then. Second pic may well have been taken same time as your Repulse Bay shot.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Gee whiz .... here was me thinking that after a couple of sitters I'd htfu and give you a bit of a challenge but i sem to have left you all speechless. Postless ? Don't have a leg to stand on ?

Alright then .... i'll follow Mark's lead and give you you a clue or ten.

a. It is north or south of 0° .

b. by quite some distance.

c. do the penguins live in fear of polar bears ?

d. pic taken same time as Repulse Bay shot ....

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
LauranceU is at least in the right hemisphere.

The bird is an Albatross chick ..... whose parents patrol the Southern Ocean.

Think September ....

Very few sailing boats visit this place but its not quite Antarctic.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Macquarrie island is very steep to. And would have albatross nesting... But the base station seems very large. But I will stick with Macquarrie island, Australian Antartic territory

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Macquarrie island is very steep to. And would have albatross nesting... But the base station seems very large. But I will stick with Macquarrie island, Australian Antartic territory
Lachlan salutes you .... Macquarie Island it is.

While MI is officially part of AAT its not actually below the Antarctic Circle.

·
19,489 Posts

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I thought Barbuda would have the clearest water in the world but no. It was very clear, but not as clear as this....

Hint: Less than 1,000 miles from Barbuda

Yes, tan shorts is correct. actually tan nearly all over! :p

1981 - 2000 of 5069 Posts