SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 5069 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
You have been to vague. Just direct answers please;)

It is in US territory? (you said North America and Canada is North America too).
Paulo... you need to hit that 'refresh' button a bit more often....:p;) We've already established Canada, not west coast.

·
19,489 Posts
So bounce back a couple of thousand miles to the east coast.

YooHoo - Google is my friend. I guessed that it might be Nova Scotia. Can it be the St. Peters Canal?
Yes, Zanshin.. that's it. the southern entrance to Nova Scotia's Bras d'Or lakes, really a tidal salt water sea. The double locks you refer to are due to the possibility of either end of the canal being higher at any given time (because the 'lakes' are tidal fed from the northeastern entrance, which is not locked)

We stopped and watched this group go through and had a very pleasant chat with the lockkeeper this past summer.. btw - no canal fees either. We later saw that group at Baddeck on the lake.

You're up, Zanshin..

·
19,489 Posts
Is it just the Bay of Fundy with huge tides or are there significant differences in water level here as well?

Ok - here's an "artsy" picture
The tides in the Cape Breton area are much less extreme than the Bay of Fundy.

OK.. back in the Caribbean, I assume?.. the ships make me think St Eustatia...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Now Faster holds the record for the quickest solution, and I thought I hadn't made it that easy. The view is Fort Oranje on Statia (St. Eustatius) looking at Saba Island in the distance. The baton is now firmly in your hand, Faster.

·
19,489 Posts
The tankers, and Saba's cloud obscured peak is what tipped it for me. Sorry about that!!

Here's an easy one for someone else..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I know what that is but would be cheating if I had to Google the keywords, plus I haven't been there (yet). I can see that we are going to have to delve deeper into the picture box for some more difficult subjects!

·
19,489 Posts
I know what that is but would be cheating if I had to Google the keywords, plus I haven't been there (yet). I can see that we are going to have to delve deeper into the picture box for some more difficult subjects!
Yes, probably... just trying to pass the baton. ... but 'difficult' is different places for different people, and there should be something about the pic that is uniquely identifying so that even a non local has a chance to guess/figure it out.

Also.. is one of the criteria for posting that it be your own photo?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Well, I didn't specify it but it should be one's own photo or at least of a place that one has been to and is somehow boating / sailing related. Let's see who gets this first and what the next picture is - I'm armed with Google Earth and a fast internet connection here at work and am ready to sleuth!

Picture Hint : Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Guys, think carefully about the need for it to be ones own pic and/or that you must have visited. We've had this type of thread before and inevitably it fizzled out because of those restrictions.

For mine, I think it would be best if the only limitation was that the pic be of a maritime location.

·
19,489 Posts

·
19,489 Posts
It kinda has more of a European look to me... Paulo, our intrepid wombat did spend some time on the Iberian peninsula a few years back, and I think he had a camera with him....;)

61 - 80 of 5069 Posts