SailNet Community banner

821 - 840 of 5069 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
oh bollocks !!

Lets get this straight.

Spanish speaking, Caribbean, Capital city thereof ....

There are only three possibilities ... Puerta Rica, Dominican Republic and Cuba.

I don't see it but that only leaves Havana ....

Farrrrrkkkk .... thats the freaking entrance to Marina Hemingway ...

bastardo !!

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I don't see it but that only leaves Havana ....
Crikey!

You should, have read the hint from Faster!

Marina Hemmingway is 9nm west of Havana and is the only marina where foreigners are allowed to dock.
The 650 meter cut through coral is, to put it mildly, treacherous. Maybe Fidel is hoping for more USA boats to come in?

The marina has 400 berths but almost all are non functioning. There is a handful of international cruisers there are any one time... Surprisingly few from the USA! Canadians make up the bulk, and Europeans. But generally the tourist population is German.

It costs cruisers ten times what it costs locals... For anything, food, resturanst , anything.
So with that channel, those costs and the Embargo no one much goes to. Cuba.

OK TDW congratulations! it's your go!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Yeah , well I go hopelessly muddled with definition of the Americas and then thinking capital city was starring at Havana harbor and thinking now way does that match.

Anywho ... anyone in the general visit of Sea Life fee free to take Mark out the back and give him a severe talking to.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I couldn't make it too easy for you :D
But I was a bit surprised it took so long. But then again, very few people go there. I haven't been yet, but I have researched it so its familiar. Gotta remember, as Faster intimated, none of our USA fiends would recognize it. But also the charts are mold, wrong, or just don't have it marked!

By the way, you were missing clues... The clue wasnt the America's, the clue was IALA B

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought I got Faster's clue, and went looking at Havana and didn't find it. Maybe I should be working rather than scouring Google Maps for marinas in Central American capitals. I'm learning a lot, though. Thank you!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I couldn't make it too easy for you :D
But I was a bit surprised it took so long. But then again, very few people go there. I haven't been yet, but I have researched it so its familiar. Gotta remember, as Faster intimated, none of our USA fiends would recognize it. But also the charts are mold, wrong, or just don't have it marked!

By the way, you were missing clues... The clue wasnt the America's, the clue was IALA B
I got the Iala B thing but all of the Americas are Iala B so I'm still not sure why that would have helped.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Definitely a smartarse this Mark fella .....

Well that was too damn easy .... no more Mr Niceguy I can tell you .... :p

·
Registered
792 Posts
I keep popping in for a look and there a new picture AND it's already been identified. You guy's are too good!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
tdw's got it. Maybe this was too easy, but we needed a break after the cuban site. The twin light houses are on the Thacher Island National Wildlife Refuge, about 4.5 nm from Gloucester Harbor (as the crow flies.)

We came this way on a trip north to Maine when the Blynman Canal that cuts across Cape Ann was unexpectedly closed for Rt 27 drawbridge repairs. The canal ordinarily provides a rather interesting 4.5 mile shortcut, but is relatively shallow. If you draw more than 5 ft, you might remove some bottom paint along the way.

Over to you, tdw!

821 - 840 of 5069 Posts