SailNet Community banner

1501 - 1520 of 5069 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,501
I'm surprised - that last shot made it seem like the village is in an old caldera and I seem to remember seeing all the houses on steep slopes. Saba is on my list, but as you've already stated, the difficult anchorage means that I'm going to wait for settled weather before visiting.

Here's the next picture:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,503
LaurenceU - you were awfully fast on that one, absolutely correct! My boat is registered in Cowes (but hasn't visited yet) and I figured with the American-centric view on this forum that the picture might last more than a couple of house. The game is now all yours, LaurenceU

·
162 Posts
Thanks Zanshin :) I've been following this great thread since you kicked it off. With your latest pic the red pillar box put me somewhere in the uk but not conclusively. The yellow no parking lines on the road also added weight that it was in the UK. Couldn't pick out the flag.
Certainly the building is very distinctive and I figured it as a famous institution of some sort. After a couple of searches without leads, I googled "famous yacht clubs UK" and up popped a picture of the Royal Yacht Squadron.
i've not been to the Isle of Wight but I did do some sailing at Lymington last year which is perhaps only about 40 miles or so from Cowes.
Now for the tricky bit - posting my own pic. :)
Laurence

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,505
No worries (I lived in Kirribilli just over Kirribilli House for a year) - choose one that has some hints for those willing to research but don't make it quite impossible. I'm sure that there are some remarkable areas in western Oz, but we are all waiting to pounce on Google and Google Maps for just such a shot, so beware :)

·
162 Posts

Sorry this took a while to post. I wasn't able to use photobucket at work due to security settings. Now all sorted.

So I'm thinking it will be easy to pick the city, might take a little more investigating to name the the ship!
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,508
I have the city (very far from VA), and can see that the picture was taken while the ship was in the drydock, but the picture on Google maps shows that dock to be dry, so I'm not sure which classic ship this could be.
The following snap looks like the potential location:

Any hints?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well the location is easy... and there are a couple of tall ships based there... but I can't match them to your picture. Hmmmm

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
City is Melbourne, Southwharf, Seafarers Bridge. Ship would have to be the Polly Woodside. Given the colour of the bowsprit, couldn't be anything else.

·
162 Posts
Well done TDW!
It is indeed the Polly Woodside which is preserved in Melbourne in the South Bank precinct. The ship was built in Belfast and launched in 1885. She is an iron hulled three mast barque that operated from 1885 till about 1962.
The game is over to you TDW.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Knowing your predilection for the area North of Sydney is a big help and that sure looks like a railway bridge. I wonder how many railway bridges there are in that area.

I think we are looking at the Brooklyn railway bridge on River Hawkesbury near Broken Bay.

·
19,489 Posts
Knowing your predilection for the area North of Sydney is a big help and that sure looks like a railway bridge. I wonder how many railway bridges there are in that area.

I think we are looking at the Brooklyn railway bridge on River Hawkesbury near Broken Bay.
Nice bit of detective work, Geoff!!

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Indeed it was a nice bit of DW .... all yours Geoff.

Taken during our recent trip. To the left is Dangar Island. We were anchored just out of Geoff's GE image. Off to right ... top right. We were meeting up with another couple of boats and then to dinner on the island with an ex club member from Balmain and his lady who moved up to the island a few years back. Nice spot but I'm not convinced about these small outlying communities where everyone knows what everyone else is up to.

There is btw a fabulous winter cruising ground beyond that bridge. I used to go up there a lot when I had the old 28'er. Sadly Raven and Kukka are too long in the mast. (Winter because in summer the river is littered with knobheads on water skis and jet skis.)

·
162 Posts
I have the city (very far from VA), and can see that the picture was taken while the ship was in the drydock, but the picture on Google maps shows that dock to be dry, so I'm not sure which classic ship this could be.
The following snap looks like the potential location:

Any hints?
Apologies, Zanshin you were spot on with the location as per your photo. Yr shot was obviously taken during construction of the dock but as can be seen the Polly Woodside is berthed nearby. (For some reason your photo did not initially display in the thread.)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I was zooming up to Boston before the storm. Also, as we might be without power and therefore communications, if we have a positive ID, please don't bother to wait for me to confirm.

·
19,489 Posts
Boats and distant church spires look very Euro.. I know Rotterdam has a large floating restaurant similar to that in the background... the location isn't the same as where we saw it.

But the boats look very 'Dutch'.. are we in Holland?

1501 - 1520 of 5069 Posts