SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,262 Posts
Reaction score
The current size 2 is supposed to handle up to 10mm, but I would recommend nothing larger than 9. The smaller the line the easier it moves inside the blocks and as mentioned over time line swells.

Beyond size, you don't need strength, just something that doesn't absorb water.

· Registered
3,262 Posts
Reaction score
A couple of things...

1) the biggest issue with traveler lines is that they twist inside the blocks. Any single braid is far less suseptable to this than any double braid. Since the core and cover can start to twist inside each other leading to hockles. Salsa is one of many single braids that works fine to control this.

2) the second biggest issue is that the cover can get hung up and pushed down the core. Causing fattening of the line (another reason to not use double braid.

There are a lot of good single braid lines on the market that will work. Since a traveler typically only has very moderate tension there is no need for high tech stuff like dyneema or salsa. Things like Tenex work fine at much lower prices. That being said I have amsteel traveler lines since it was in my bag when I went to replace the traveler last time and I was too lazy to replace it after it was on.

Dyneema is slippery stuff, but it works fine in cam cleats. At least in low load applications like travelers. I wouldn't trust a jib sheet to a cam alone.

· Registered
3,262 Posts
Reaction score
Zz,

You are talking about a 8mm line with a working load of what 25-50lbs? Sort of using bungee cord stretch isn't going to be a concern.

Again I don't like any double braids for traveler lines since the cover and core always wind up twisting inside each other. But almost any single braid will work. I personally prefer lines that don't absorb water for travelers since they are always in the cockpit and get wet and stepped on. But the water thing is personal preference not required.

Any dyneema cored double braid is ridiculously over specced. Remember traveler lines have very low loads so they don't need the strength.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.