SailNet Community banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all my deck hardware removed for my deck re-core/re-paint project. I'm considering whether to alter the layout for my control lines to make it easier to singlehand.

Currently, all my control lines lead aft. I have three winches on the seahood over the companion way and a total of eight rope clutches to handle all the lines coming from the mast. My mainsail has a bolt rope in a mast groove and my headsails use a double foil (no furling). The reefing system consists of tack hooks at the gooseneck and the reefing lines led to the forward end of the boom, down to the deck at the mast base, and back to the cockpit. The boat is 26' and was set-up for racing, not singlehanding.

My concern is raising and lower the sails and reefing. The system I have needs to change, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to go.

Option 1: Move the three winches to the mast. I would be able to guide the main while I raised/lowered it, put a wrap on a winch with the jib halyard and walk it forward while raising the jib/genoa, and set/shake out reefs in one trip to the mast. I have inboard shrouds, so that should protect my sheets from fouling on the winches.

Option 2: Instead of using reef hooks on the gooseneck, I could use running reef hooks similar to a cunningham and run those back to the cockpit for reefing. I guess, with my current set-up, I could put a wrap on a winch with both the main and jib halyards and still go forward (I would need longer halyards) to guide the sails while pulling on the halyards.

I would like to hear (or maybe see with pictures) how others set-up for singlehanding. I've also considered removing the foil from my headstay and having hanks put on my foresails.

Thanks.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions posted so far:

sailingdog: I doubt anyone else has my boat (maybe). Its a 1976 Soverel 26. The mast is keel stepped, and I already have tracks set at the base of the mast for all my lines which are currently run aft. I guess all I would need to do is run two additional lines aft - 1st and 2nd tack reef lines.

Jeff_H: I knew (from your previous posts) that if you replied you would be against mast mounted winches. I've never tried them, and, to be honest, I was hoping to avoid the hassle and expense of moving them - my other projects are enough right now. I really like your idea of using a PVC pipe as a sail roller. I will definately try that out. You mention running the bitter end of the tack reef lines to the deck, would adding a padeye to the mast itself work as well? That seems to me to keep the line shorter, the run more direct, and put less stress on the deck, no?

Wiley 1: I'm on the Great Lakes and although the boat was built for racing, I'm just interested in daysailing and weekending for right now. No passages with this boat, so chafe is not my primary concern. Right now I have no self steering aids. My refurbishing budget doesn't allow it at the moment. I'll initially set up some form of "tiller tamer" like a bungie and jam cleat to just hold the tiller steady long enough for me to do something else quickly.

On slides/slugs for the main: I've been wondering how that would help. I keep imagining the slides/slugs just falling out of the bottom of the slot when lowering and wondering how they would feed into the groove while raising. Do you more or less permanently slip them up into the groove and then drill and tap a screw or something into the bottom of the mast slot to keep them from falling out the bottom? The groove on my mast is open (to allow room for feeding the luff bolt rope) for about 12" above the gooseneck.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are great and now I have some better ideas for the asking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.