SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi folks. i have a jib. it was free and it is in new condition. a bit dirty but the sailcloth is still paper crisp. but, it's hank on. i want rollerfurling. i live in the baltimore annapolis area. i am looking for a reasonably priced loft to convert the sail for roller furling. i have talked to bacon's about it, before, and they really just want to sell you a new sail.

as hoping someone might know of a reasonable loft around here that i could contact. thanks.

·
19,485 Posts
Check out postings at marinas. We found a woman who used to work at a sail loft, she now does sail repair part time out of her house.
That's a good idea... in addition, most areas have small, local independent sail lofts - removing hanks and adding a luff tape is a simple matter that shouldn't cost too much ($100-200?) Even the 'name' lofts should be willing to do a job like this.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Note that you'll either need to add a UV cover, buy a furler sock, or remove the sail when you aren't sailing to protect it from the sun.

The UV cover and furler sock end up pretty similar in cost (somewhere between $300 and $500), but the furler sock can work with multiple sails should you decide to convert a genoa and a jib.

·
19,485 Posts
If you do forgo the UV cover and choose to remove the sail between trips, fitting hooks to the sail as shown below will drastically reduce the number of shackle pins dropped overboard!!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Harken also sells snap shackles that mount directly to the furler and don't require sail modifications. Soft shackles can also be used.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out postings at marinas. We found a woman who used to work at a sail loft, she now does sail repair part time out of her house.
my marina doesn't have any postings like that. i could make the rounds to the other local marinas. where would you usually look for postings like that? that's exactly the kind of person that would be perfect for this.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adding the uv cover does seem to be the expensive part of the conversion. perhaps, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to remove the sail when not sailing. at least for now. it only takes a few minutes to hank one on. folding it to stow it takes longer than hanking it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my marina doesn't have any postings like that. i could make the rounds to the other local marinas. where would you usually look for postings like that? that's exactly the kind of person that would be perfect for this.
The marina we are at has a bulletin board where you can post your services, your business card, boats or boat items for sale.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The marina we are at has a bulletin board where you can post your services, your business card, boats or boat items for sale.
cool. i ill have to check around some different marinas and check their bulletin boards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.