SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a very nice Islander 36 for sale with a very reasonable price tag. It was well maintained and has all the goodies (rador, water maker, freezer unit, windless...). Here's the catch, it's tiller and I really would like wheel steering with the autopilot and the GPS at the pedestal. How hard is it to convert a tiller to a wheel?! What is the cost? Bottom line, is it worth it?

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Rough estimate (your time and labor) with all the goodies you want, about $5k.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out the attraction to a wheel. I sailed a Cape Dory 30 with a wheel overnight to Block Island. Still can't see why anyone would want a wheel. A tiller just tells you so much about a what the boat is doing, and it folds up out of the way in port. I guess it looks yachty!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
IF you want a boat with wheel steering, buy one that has a wheel. If you like this Islander... get the Islander. :) A tiller-equipped boat can be used with an autopilot as well as have a GPS where you can see it at the helm.

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
Spend the money on a good below deck autopilot and appreciate the roominess in the cockpit when on the hook. FWIW If I had it to do all over, I'd look for a wheel-less boat.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing to add to the equation!

So from what I hear, half of you love sterring with a tiller and the other half do not think it is worth the time and money!?

Well, to the first half, I like a wheel on a boat that size and I promise you it has nothing to do with being "'yauhty".

As for the second half of you, I think I left something out of the equation, the cost of the boat. I can get the boat for $10K less that other Islander 36 in the same comdition and will a less impressive list of specs. If I can convert to wheel steering for a weekend of labor and $5K,.... it may to very well worth it.

Thanks for all your input!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
SurfingSS—

Chances are very likely that you'll have to beef up the cockpit sole to handle the weight and stress the steering pedestal is going put on it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Edson

In case you haven't checked your private messages, I have an entire Edson system available. It is off a 36 as well and is in excellent condition. I'll get some pics taken if you're interested.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
SurfingSS—

IIRC, you can't reply to PMs until you HAVE 10 POSTS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Edson Steering

No, it sounds like they won't go through till you get the 10 posts. But you can email me at josephhtrecker at yahoo dot com. Just replace the "at" and "dot" with the symbols, since I'm told the robot spammers look for email adresses and cram em full.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
No, it sounds like they won't go through till you get the 10 posts. But you can email me at josephhtrecker at yahoo dot com. Just replace the "at" and "dot" with the symbols, since I'm told the robot spammers look for email adresses and cram em full.
Smart boy, you're learning... :)

·
Lynger1
25 Posts
I found a very nice Islander 36 for sale with a very reasonable price tag. It was well maintained and has all the goodies (rador, water maker, freezer unit, windless...). Here's the catch, it's tiller and I really would like wheel steering with the autopilot and the GPS at the pedestal. How hard is it to convert a tiller to a wheel?! What is the cost? Bottom line, is it worth it?
Hi a seen a few boats convertert from tiller steering
fit hydralic steering simple need to make smaall s/steel box and recess it in stern as atransom
any good steel engeneering firm will fix that
good luck

I have my link with s/steel arm look at pic

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts