SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Islander 36 and am in the process of installing a propane stove/oven. I''m looking for suggestions on where to stow the LPG cylinder. I''m thinking of building a cylinder locker and installing it into my starboard lazarette so the lid opens to the sky. I''d rather not have it on deck. Any other idea''s?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff: Thanks for your commonsense reply. I currently have CNG on my 1986 Hunter 45 and was thinking of converting to LPG. I think my current CNG locker could be converted to properly handle propane tanks but all the attendant equipment would make the job way too expensive. I''m told my current CNG stove can''t be legally converted to propane hence a new stove (around $1K+ plus new tanks, regulators, etc). I had Origo''s on my other boat (H37) and found it worked "ok" I just didn''t think it was as hot as the CNG and I didn''t like filling the burners.
Anyway, your reply has me thinking I''ll probably just stick with the CNG.

Thanks

John Fletcher

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I''ve already bought a Seaward 3 burner range ($800 through Boatersworld) and a LPG locker kit with alum. cylinder and everything built in from Sailnet for just over $300. The only thing I''m lacking is a sniffer. I''m planning on building the locker into the starboard locker so the top is just under the hatch. I will seal all around it so there is no chance of leakage below deck. Hope I don''t turn by boat into a liquid asset!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although propane is certantly the most dangerous fuel, the only story I ever heard first hand on the loss of a boat was with alcohol, presumably the safest fuel. It just goes to show that care is required with any installation. That being said propane is far and away the hottest and most convenient and converting a CNG stove to propane is just a matter of changing the orafice. There is essentially no difference other than that between CNG and propane appliances.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I''m mistaken most propane burners have anywhere from 5000-8000 btu burners, that would almost double the output of alcohol. Undoubtably propane is dangerous if mis-used or mis-installed but installed properly I can''t imagine spending time chasing leaks. I worked for 15 years as a plumber and installed many miles of gas and propane piping, it''s not that difficult to do it well. The analogy to gas engines is not well founded as other reasons the gas engine are shunned is the delicacy of the ignition system in a salt environment and the much shorter range per gallon. Those points aside, if one feels unsafe or unsure of a particular system by all means go for peace of mind.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was stated in an earlier reply by Jeff that the locker propane is stored in be drained from below above the WL. I hope we all know that propane is heavier than air. I don''t believe you can get CNG reliably anywhere but the states and it''s harder here than for propane. If you can''t fill your tanks the system is very safe......but useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.