SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently bought a sailboat with the 2 burner non-gimballed stove missing. In the "hole" where it used to be, there is a Coleman stove. I recently looked into buying a replacement 2 burner stove, but when I saw the price, I laughed. Why should I not just stick to the Coleman? Allows me to put the tanks up top, is already there, etc. Am I missing something?

Signed,

Cheapo

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
I keep my two burner Coleman pump up stove under a bunk should I wish to cook outside but, the Origo 3000 alcohol stove and oven that came with the boat, I'm pretty happy with. You could probably find one of those pretty cheap because a lot of people think you're not useful I found it just as useful as a normal stove and oven.

But if the price of things for a boat are bothering you better get out now!!
World Plant Human body Organism Art

Reactions: Skipper Jer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep my two burner Coleman pump up stove under a bunk should I wish to cook outside but, the Origo 3000 alcohol stove and oven that came with the boat, I'm pretty happy with. You could probably find one of those pretty cheap because a lot of people think you're not useful I found it just as useful as a normal stove and oven.

But if the price of things for a boat are bothering you better get out now!!
View attachment 141275
Thanks for the advice on the Origo. It does look like a great stove. And I am glad to hear that money is no object for you! ;-)

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Hi all,

I recently bought a sailboat with the 2 burner non-gimballed stove missing. In the "hole" where it used to be, there is a Coleman stove. I recently looked into buying a replacement 2 burner stove, but when I saw the price, I laughed. Why should I not just stick to the Coleman? Allows me to put the tanks up top, is already there, etc. Am I missing something?

Signed,

Cheapo

Theres a hierarchy of extraordinary costs:

Boat Junk - Stupidly expensive

Camping Equipment (Coleman) - Expensive

Domestic kit - Cheaper

Home kit for renters who are poor and move a lot - Cheap as Chips and normally fine. Buy at the local Chinese $1 Shopee/Discount store.

So you are dealing with the second top tier of expensive. Stick with it :)

Mark

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Oh $$$ is really difficult for me on fixed income, & why I stayed with the alcohol stove rather than change out to a force 10 propane

Reactions: Wade

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
+1 on the Origo. I have one on my boat and it is brain-dead simple, and works great. No worrying you left the propane on and are going to blow up your boat. That said, I'm experimenting with an induction hot plate ($75) for when I'm plugged in to see how I like it, since filling the 'sterno cans' on the Origo makes my spouse nervous.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
+1 on the Origo. I have one on my boat and it is brain-dead simple, and works great. No worrying you left the propane on and are going to blow up your boat. That said, I'm experimenting with an induction hot plate ($75) for when I'm plugged in to see how I like it, since filling the 'sterno cans' on the Origo makes my spouse nervous.
Alcohol is about the most safe fuel there is it's water soluble it doesn't explode generally speaking although it may flare up

Reactions: emcentar and Arcb

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
I think she's just worried she's going to spill it everywhere, not that it's dangerous, and personally I love the safety of it, propane makes me nervous.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Q
I think she's just worried she's going to spill it everywhere, not that it's dangerous, and personally I love the safety of it, propane makes me nervous.
I've been wondering now that I've actually been using the stove couple months if it's even possible to "overfill" the canisters I have yet to do that!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Not really. It's obvious when they are full because the wick becomes wet/holds alcohol. Dump off excess if necessary.
Yes but they do seem to hold an awful lot of alcohol kind of like a few people I used to know no limit to how much they can absorb...

·
Registered
14 Posts
If there are any used marine supply yards around you might be able to pick up a propane stove/oven that'll go in the gimble. Just run the hose to rear hatch and shut valve off after using. Alternatively, if can't find the whole stove/oven setup then should be able to come across a decent 2 burner propane stove. Alcohol is safe but personally I couldn't cook with it.

·
Dirt Free
3,038 Posts
If there are any used marine supply yards around you might be able to pick up a propane stove/oven that'll go in the gimble. Just run the hose to rear hatch and shut valve off after using.
So not a professional gas fitter or concerned about insurance ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Love the very last photo. Frankensteinian heating system. Cool.

We have LP on the pushpit of the sailboat and for the stinkpot weekending in the BVI (if and when that's allowed again) a Coleman fold 'n go LP stove that uses the canisters. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Fold-Propane-Stove-2-Burner/dp/B000F7T2MU The canisters store in a waterproof bag in the shade in the (open) wheelhouse. Never had a problem. I don't trust the canisters after a year or so and bring them home to use on the gas grill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts