SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
My concern is of it sliding off or my cookware sliding off and/or tipping. I don't know of a way to gimbal a stove like this but I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of univeral pot holder that would work. I'm having trouble locating anything that isn't specific to a particular model.
Any ideas?
I'd rather not spend several hundred dollars on a new stove if I can make this work. I will be cooking in the cockpit on calm days but it takes one jerk in a powerboat to send things flying. And I'd like to be able to cook inside if it's wet/rainy.
I've done this. It is cheap and easy and it works. Buy some aircraft grade safety wire (Aircraft spruce is a good source). Then just bend up all the wire you want to hold your pots in place. Worked a charm for me and took less that 15 minutes to rig up.

-Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
View attachment 139169
My concern is of it sliding off or my cookware sliding off and/or tipping. I don't know of a way to gimbal a stove like this but I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of univeral pot holder that would work.
There's nothing magical about gimbaled stoves. To someone on the boat it may look like the stove is what's swiveling. Which creates the false expectation that the stove will continue swinging when the boat stops rolling. But the stove is actually staying still - the boat is what's rolling around the stove. The boat stops rolling, and the stove "stops" too because it was never moving.

So there's no need for a complex spring-mass-dampener system like with a car suspension. All you need is a free-floating bearing mount, oriented so the direction of rotation matches the boat's predominant rotation (roll). You just need to figure out a way to place the center of gravity far enough below the rotational axis so the stove doesn't try to flip over with a pot on it if the boat heaves (moves straight up). It's the same idea as those no-spill cup carriers.

·
Registered
Pearson 30
57 Posts
I'd second looking at the JetBoil. Check out Sam Holmes videos on YouTube. He has several clips about using the JetBoil for fresh and re-heat food. I believe he also has a gymbal design that can be 3-D printed. Look for his crossing to Hawaii on a 23 ft Ranger!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The camp stove you linked above could be overkill for those. Just a backpaking jetboil (or other) would be sufficient. Even for coffee. They heat up quickly enough, you can easily tend to them from start to stop. Which you'd need to, as they could tip even easier. A jetboil can boil water in undera a couple of minutes. I bet I could make pre-cooked bacon and scrambled eggs in one too. :) Of course, Mountain House sells a dehydrated scrambled and bacon too.
The admiral just informed me that if someone else wants to do the majority of the cooking other stoves may be considered. Until then, the JetBoil is our technology of choice along with boil in the bag meals.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts