SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
Yeah, I'm farrrrr too old for a stripped out racing boat to live on at sea.
I demand really good food for a passage. So it needs a good oven, freezer Etc and a good cook (me!). Sailing uses too many calories to let an idiot cook. 😊

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
Wow! 16 big eaters.
Must have been a memorable trip.
What was the best part?

Mark

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I've been on some grand adventures, and I've had hard jobs for which I was well paid, but I never paid to work that hard on that food. But people pay big money to get tortured on Mount Everest.

·
New to cruising
136 Posts
This boat was LEAN. Really makes me appreciate the kitchen on my Dad’s Beneteau 😂 View attachment 144813
This boat was LEAN. Really makes me appreciate the kitchen on my Dad’s Beneteau 😂 View attachment 144813
Looks positively luxurious compared to Rosebud, a 65 footer with 16-17 crew. We had one burner, no counters. We brought only prepared freeze dried meals. Boiled lots of water, put the freeze dried concoction in the cooler with plenty of hot water, let it sit for hours and ate that for lunch and dinner. Breakfast was oatmeal or protein bar. Snacks were nuts or jerky. We got there fast enough that we didn't mind too much. I think the longest race was LA to Honolulu (Transpac) which was five days(?). The head had only a curtain around it for privacy. Never more than one female crew member on board. I don't remember a sink, but we must have had one. Finally talked hubby into a cruiser and have a lovely galley with a brand new range and updated refrigeration. Even have a portable ice maker onboard. Forget the water maker, it holds 160 gals water which is plenty after the meager amount racers allow. Yeah, we'd carry the required water for ballast but we'd dump it asap and only make enough water for the freeze dried food and the drink needed daily.

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
I'm pretty amazed y'all aren't using a food processor for all that prep work. My wife was a cook on our charter boat and only had to come up with 3 meals a day for 4, including crew, and a food processor cut her galley time in half, if not more.
I also found a pressure cooker to be indespenseable when trying to cook in heavy weather. It was 2/3rds quicker and had a secure top, so no mess was made when it was tossed across the cabin, which it did a time or two.

Reactions: Slayer
1 - 9 of 9 Posts