1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
This is a us govt DHS sponsored program that requires you to register you and your vessel for tracking.

The reg process won't open for me at all, so I can't see how much they ask for.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The registration did not work on my phone either so I registered on their website. They ask for all the same info that is available from the USCG documentation DB/state registration DB and FCC if you have DSC/SSB license.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dosn't ask much, just? do you own any weapons? what is your cell phone number?
to you regularly speak to anyone overseas? stuff like that!
Not sure I understand this post.

It does ask for cell number which is not required unless you want the app to function properly. I saw nothing regarding weapons, foreign correspondence or anything of that nature.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the post was my attempt at humor! since our friends at DHS have access to everything digital going out over the air waves. They must also want that info so they can better target YOU!
Now I get it. Helps to add a little smiley face so folks get your intent. There are some here just paranoid enough to post something like that seriously.

I guaranty DHS knows a lot more about us then we suspect but that is a discussion for the war room.

I would like to get some feedback from people who try out the app. It has crashed on me once so far. It is the first version so I do not expect too much until they get some bugs worked out.

·
First String
868 Posts
Did not work on my phone galaxy2. After I tried to register it, it went into some kind of search mode and heated up my pone. I had to uninstall it and reboot the phone to get it to stop.. Apps are no more that I0I0 programs and need full BATA testing before release to the general population. This milk in the face attempt for a great app is shameful. Don’t get me wrong I love Jeff and the team over at Active Captain, but even if offering a free app, there is still an expectation to the end-user.
QA should have to signoff in BATA testing, were Hot fixes could be applied, well before a release date was interjected… Sailors are some of the pickiest people to sell to. We have no money. That’s why we have to fix our own boats. No really, I would have purchased this for around $49.00 or even $79.00 if the bugs were worked out before I watched it fail. Now is probable I will not look at it again. It has already hard wired my opinion. That’s what happens to us older folks. It’s hard to change our opinions once made.
Anyway. Just my 2 cents. Cheers,

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Rushed the release - nope, don't think so.

But according to a very reliable source, if you send in a report of a bug or glitch - they will fix it. It is neat to see the emergence of augmented reality.

I wish it was available for my iPad.

Rik

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
Looks like the active captain crowd broke their website...apparently due to an overwhelming amount of traffic they are having to switch servers and won't be accepting any new registrations for 24 hours or so...

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
I love it - if you are not part of "the Active Captain" crowd, you are missing out!

Rik

·
S/V Rocinante-Pearson 33
33 Posts
I love active captain. But alas, I was too slow on the trigger for this app and can't get registered today apparently haha.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rushed release? On the FREE app. Beta testing? Okie doke, whatever floats your boat. Complaining about a free app that can just as easily be uninstalled is crazy. The android platform is open source, most times free, and as such is always in a state of flux with new os and regular updates fixing bugs. It is what it is. Participate or not. I have had many an app come and go but never did I complain about a free one.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I love it - if you are not part of "the Active Captain" crowd, you are missing out!

Rik
Hmmm, I hope "the Active Captain Crowd" realizes that such AIS information - if being relayed on a cellular network, and perhaps dependent upon a reporting service such as MarineTraffic.com - may not necessarily providing information that is in real time, or complete, and at present is by no means a substitute for an onboard AIS receiver...

"Augmented Reality", I love that one... Perhaps THAT's what the captain of that 70' Hylas needed a bit more of a couple of weeks ago, huh? :)

"Easily find your boat after a night on the town!" Seriously???

YCMTSU...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hmm, that last one could have been worded a little better. "Easily find your boat in a dark crowded anchorage"

They are calling it AIS class E which I suppose is yet another class and should be treated accordingly. Only visible if you have an app and are in cell tower range. They certainly cannot guarantee you see class A or B boats as they will require a reporting station within range. I am constantly reminding folks of this when they think all they need is Marinetraffic.com instead of an AIS receiver.

A quote from Ben's article on Panbo. Using Class E will not put your boat on the bridge of a ship unless the watchkeepers are using a Class E app themselves (though I'm realizing that some ship drivers, like my local pilots, are interested in any small craft info they can get).

Good info on Panbo about DHS, Smart Chart and class E: http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/08/class_e_ais_will_it_be_huge.html

·
3,506 Posts
You folks have too much time on your hands, why aren't you out cruising....augmented reality..social networking on the water? Boy, somebody got hit with the stupid stick. This crap from active captain. More like (deleted) captain.....get it while it's free hurry up to stupidville.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
You folks have too much time on your hands, why aren't you out cruising....augmented reality..social networking on the water? Boy, somebody got hit with the stupid stick. This crap from active captain. More like (deleted) captain.....get it while it's free hurry up to stupidville.
LMAO! C'mon, man - tell us how you really feel... (grin, bigtime)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts