SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share the link to NavMonPc... a very nice programmer has developed a FREE MS Windows program to log, display and repeat NMEA0183 information. He has wind gauges, heading, waypoints, speed, depth, etc. PLUS the ability to create "virtual" serial ports on your computer so you can send your NMEA data to multiple programs without having a serial port conflict. Very cool...

Website is at NavMonPc and discussion forum is at NavMonPc : NavMonPc Gen 2

Chris

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Labatt. Too bad it's only for Windows..:)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Anyone have a way to take the Serial NMEA 0183 and convert to USB? Anyone do it on a Mac running Parallels to do Windows?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
There are tons of ways to do this, using a simple USB-to-Serial converter cable/pigtail. I've used the Belkin and a couple other brands to read NMEA data on my Powerbook. ;) Even used one to read NMEA data and program a Garmin via Parallels on my MacBook Pro.
Anyone have a way to take the Serial NMEA 0183 and convert to USB? Anyone do it on a Mac running Parallels to do Windows?

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
If you're going to do anything of substance with a USB-serial adapter you will save yourself some grief by avoiding Belkin in favor of nearly any unit based on either the FTDI or Prolific chipsets. Keyspan is one manufacturer that is well-thought of.

Apparently the issue has to do with the handling of DTR and CTS lines on the serial side. The ham radio community has pounded their collective heads against the wall on this issue for some time, as did anyone who wanted to run Pactor e-mail over marine SSB before the modems became available with USB and Bluetooth interfaces.

If you like living dangerously I have a Belkin adapter I'd be happy to sell you.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To Nightowl . . .

I have a Mac (intel) running fusion by VMware to get to the 'dark' side. Not exactly on point . . . NMEA to USB, ShipModul from Marine Electronics is a 0183 multiplexer. Works Great. Repeats to autohelm and VHF DSC and listens to the AIS receiver from Smart Radio. I'm using MacENC software to display NOAA ENC charts, bluetooth GPS. The AIS info is better than radar. I just wish the Coast Guard would let me test the DSC distress function to see if they really got the Lat, Lon. Hope that helps . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts