SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using a cooling system sealant called K-Seal? I'm thinking of using it to help address a leak in my cooling system.

K-Seal | K-Seal HD - Solv-Tec
K-Seal - Permanent Coolant Leak Repair

The product claims to "permanently seal most cracks in the engine block and head. This unique product is guaranteed to mix with all types of glycol based coolant and antifreeze. K-Seal™ can also be used to seal holes and cracks in the head gasket, radiator, heater core, freeze plugs, water pump casing and other metal components of the cooling system in both gas and diesel engines."

My engine is overheating, spending coolant, and blowing out white steam from the wet exhaust. It says that it can be used in any water-based cooling engine. You add it to the coolant overflow tank.

I've checked all of the usual suspects ... impeller fine, strainers clear ...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Save your money for the real fix. Not likely to work for long. And it will muck up all your cooling passages possibly making them less efficient.

Do you know the root cause? What led up to failure?

Could be HE leaks, crack in head, blown head gasket, etc.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
If is not likely to fix your problem (other than briefly) and may make things worse. Do you have water in the oil (or vice versa)? What kind of engine?

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't seen water in the oil yet. Westerbeke 30 (41-A) diesel.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Sealants are kinda "limp home" products. They seal by clogging things and that includes all the passages in the heat exchanger/radiator if you have one. If you had a hairline crack in the block, a sealant could plug it for a while--till it expanded and you had a total failure. If your problem is a blown head gasket, things are going to get worse, and your engine needs a head job.

And if your engine just needs work (i.e. a head gasket rather than replacement) cleaning out the sealant just adds more work. Best to ante up and do a proper repair on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts