SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there know of publications dealing with the methods of construction or repair of cored decks and such?
I'm wanting to do some research. I have seen where some do repairs from top and some from underneath (which seems it would be horrific to do). And I'm curious about how the blocks are laid up, why the wood grains are oriented perpendicular to the boat surfaces, types of foam, the apparent randomness of wood pieces when done as ply, etc.

·
Senior Pirate
2,658 Posts
I've done this, using something like the West System. I went from the bottom, for all the right reasons. I would caution anyone contemplating this as it's the more difficult path as gravity is against you. When I did it, even though it was a relatively small job, the results were good, but the interior mess was biblical.

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
609 Posts
In the current issue of Good Old Boat(got mine today) is part 1 of 2 on how to do this very thing. I have not had the chance to read it yet, but if they are printing it, they will not lead you astray. Visit you local bookstore and read away, or better yet, subscribe and support a very good mag. The next issue (and part 2)is due out this December.

If you go to this linky they will send you a copy for free just for you to try, digital, or paper: :)
Good Old Boat - Review Copy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.